Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how much available storage do I need to upgrade from 10.14.6. I have about 16.5 GB available

can I do it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 6:46 PM

MacOS Catalina - Technical Specifications

Per the linked document above:

"If upgrading from OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 or later, macOS Catalina requires 12.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Catalina requires up to 18.5GB of available storage."

I suggest you do your best to create a storage surplus of 40-50GB before you upgrade. If that requires that you purchase and external drive and offload some data – photo libraries, music and videos – then you should do that. MacOS doesn't like to run low on disk space, and with only 16GB currently available I think you are standing on the brink of trouble.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 6:46 PM in response to louieglutz

MacOS Catalina - Technical Specifications

Per the linked document above:

"If upgrading from OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 or later, macOS Catalina requires 12.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Catalina requires up to 18.5GB of available storage."

I suggest you do your best to create a storage surplus of 40-50GB before you upgrade. If that requires that you purchase and external drive and offload some data – photo libraries, music and videos – then you should do that. MacOS doesn't like to run low on disk space, and with only 16GB currently available I think you are standing on the brink of trouble.

how much available storage do I need to upgrade from 10.14.6. I have about 16.5 GB available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.