Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No "Put back" option for most of the files in Trash

I just deleted several pdf files from Download folder and wanted to recover them from trash but there is no "put back" option at all. I am using Monterey.

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 7:45 PM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2021 3:41 PM in response to ZoeyYC

I don't know why it happened

if I drag something without literally "open" Finder (like drag files from the preview) to Trash,

Then you actually do know how it happened. When you Move to Trash in Finder, it records the original location in metadata. It uses that metadata to allow “Put Back.“

If you move to trash from some other app, Finder doesn’t know where it came from.

Dec 6, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Barney-15E

You are definitely right. This is just annoying because I don't know why it happened (which I think should not) and have no idea if it will happen when I somehow delete something I forget the path. I tested for a few times and so far find if I drag something without literally "open" Finder (like drag files from the preview) to Trash, the file will not be restored by "put back". I have to open the folder using Finder and drag the file to trash and that will be recoverable. But still, I don't know why it works this way and kind of annoying.

No "Put back" option for most of the files in Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.