Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after PRAM reset

So, the problem started when the hard drive broke. I replaced it with old SSD previously used in my other Windows computer. I did not format it so when booting iMac it automatically started configuring Windows 10. That was strange, I shut it down and booted from BIOS, but the system couldn’t find my flash drive with Mac OS image on it (which obviously was there). I didn’t know what the problem was about, so I let the Windows load up, it worked fine. After that I read on some forum that if having a problem of “iMac doesn’t see flash drive with OS image” I should try resetting PRAM with cmd+Option+P+R shortcut, which resulted with expected reload, however after booting up the screen is totally black. There’s Mac sound of booting, there’s keyboard lighting, however the screen is totally black. I tried cmd+R but it didn’t work. Any ideas how to possibly fix this issue?

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 2:51 AM

Would be helpful to know exactly which iMac and which version of the OS you're attempting to install. In the meantime, with your usb plugged in, you could try booting while holding the option key in order to access the boot manager screen.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 8, 2021 10:33 PM in response to hr3nk

If you don't have access to another Mac, take this Mac to the Apple Store to install macOS: Get Support.

Do NOT use any Windows Apps that claim to make a macOS installer.

Also, if you have not already, do NOT open the iMac to replace the hard drive. Rather, use a FireWire 800 external SSD: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Jack

Dec 8, 2021 10:27 PM in response to SeaPapp

Hello!

Im using 21.5 inch mid 2011 iMac (2,7 GHz Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 550 Mb), at the moment of HDD break up installed OS was OS X El Capitan, so I tried installing same one. I don't have second Mac, so I had to use application called TransMac to prepare my flash drive.

I tried pressing options key, still nothing happening, totally black screen. I can't even tell if I am in the boot manager or not, cause there's no visible/sound indication of that.

Black screen after PRAM reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.