Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know how to get out of KeyNote Sharing ****?

KeyNote sharing is too fragile and perhaps too many edge effect bugs

I AM SO THANKFUL I MADE A COPY BEFORE LETTING KEYNOTE TOUCH MY FILE.

1) The file appears in Finder, but instead of opening in KeyNote, Keynote only displays a "Downloading" dialog box that does nothing and shows no progress -- no matter how long.

2) With full exit from KeyNote, in FINDER, attempt to duplicate the copy file. The result is an endless with no progress dialog box of downloading a 1.8 MB file (about exactly three times the size the file should be).

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 3:33 AM

1:

What Share item are you using?

Therese are the options I have in Keynote:

2:

Have you tried downloading the file to your Mac from iCloud using the finder?

3:

Fortunately, a photo was taken of the screen when KeyNote/Finder failed, so the lost data could be reconstructed from the photo.

Why don't you have a back up of the file on a separate local drive?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 3:33 AM in response to CSK Houston

1:

What Share item are you using?

Therese are the options I have in Keynote:

2:

Have you tried downloading the file to your Mac from iCloud using the finder?

3:

Fortunately, a photo was taken of the screen when KeyNote/Finder failed, so the lost data could be reconstructed from the photo.

Why don't you have a back up of the file on a separate local drive?

Dec 7, 2021 3:57 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Context and followup: pure Apple Ecosystem (no Dropbox, no OneDrive). File created and located on the MBP in a folder on iCloud Drive. KeyNote file opened in KeyNote and four slides added. Share feature was used to add an external user. Solid internet connection. This resulted in the above user experience. At a much later time, it was possible to make a copy of the KeyNote file. Three of the four new slides recovered. Data loss (one slide) was final result. Fortunately, a photo was taken of the screen when KeyNote/Finder failed, so the lost data could be reconstructed from the photo.

The sync failure appears to be an edge effect or race condition triggered when adding external user using the Share feature in KeyNote. It lost sync with itself. It was unexpected user experience to have KeyNote do nothing (no modal, no response at all) when using the open file action. It was unexpected user experience to have Finder unable to duplicate the file with a hung downloading modal box and/or no response at all when clicking on the file.

Does anyone know how to get out of KeyNote Sharing ****?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.