Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Monterey

I have tried to install Monterey the regular way, from an external hard drive, in safe mode and pretty much any way I can think of with no luck.

My computer is the following:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

I have installed extra memory myself, so it is 8 GB and I have plenty of free space.

I think it might have to do with me doing freelance work for Microsoft on the computer and therefore having given permissions to them, but I had no problems installing the previous update.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 9:29 AM

Do you have an Apple SSD installed? If it is a third-party SSD the install will terminate with that message. This is message I received when my third-party SSD was installed.

Other possible problems:

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Do you have an antivirus or cleaning apps installed? If so remove them using the apps uninstall instructions

Try deleting the existing Monterey installer that is in the Applications folder. Then boot to Safe Mode and redownload the installer and try the installing again. The boot to Safe Mode takes minutes.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 9:29 AM in response to LingerLongLund

Do you have an Apple SSD installed? If it is a third-party SSD the install will terminate with that message. This is message I received when my third-party SSD was installed.

Other possible problems:

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Do you have an antivirus or cleaning apps installed? If so remove them using the apps uninstall instructions

Try deleting the existing Monterey installer that is in the Applications folder. Then boot to Safe Mode and redownload the installer and try the installing again. The boot to Safe Mode takes minutes.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 7, 2021 9:35 AM in response to LingerLongLund

Agree with previous posting - there have been frequent persons reporting the same issue as your.

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Possible solution, is to flip out the After Market Drive and replace with Original SSD. Run the UpGrade to Monterey and then flip out the Original SSD for the After Market SSD and run the installer again.

Dec 7, 2021 9:41 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you! That so helpful of you. I have a third-party-SSD, so that might be the problem, but then there is really not much to do, is there?

I have 400 GB free on the hard drive on the computer, so that should be enough.

It might be some cleaning apps installed when I started freelancing for Microsoft, I have removed the antivirus app, but the last time I ran into trouble with them it took hours to remove them as they were hiding strange places...

I have also tried deleting and re-downloading and installing in safe mode.

Installing Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.