Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing saved data

My girlfriend and I shared our iPad Air for a few years she had it most of the time. I bought a new pro and transferred everything over. Now it wants her ID and password even for apps that I installed. How do I remove her from the new device?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 7:02 AM

Apps are forever associated with the AppleID from which the App was originally purchased. Apps can only be re-installed or updated, from the App Store, using the AppleID that was used to originally purchase the App.

If the AppleIDs differ, reinstallation or update of the affected App is not possible - and it is this situation in which you appear to find yourself.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 7:02 AM in response to Silverfish612

Apps are forever associated with the AppleID from which the App was originally purchased. Apps can only be re-installed or updated, from the App Store, using the AppleID that was used to originally purchase the App.

If the AppleIDs differ, reinstallation or update of the affected App is not possible - and it is this situation in which you appear to find yourself.

Dec 7, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Silverfish612

If the iPad is Activation Locked, you’ll need the AppleID and Password that was previously used to activate the iPad.

Assuming that you have full access to the iPad - and know the necessary AppleID Password, you can remove the Activation Lock relatively easily:

Settings > [Name / AppleID] > Find My > Find My iPad > Find My iPad - set to OFF; you’ll be challenged for the AppleID Password

If you are attempting to properly prepare the iPad for reuse, the most effective method is to follow this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This process will completely erase the iPad, remove the Activation Lock and reset - after which you’ll be able to set-up afresh as a new iPad.

If you have transferred data and settings from old to new iPad using QuickStart, or restored from a Backup associated with the previous iPad, you will have literally transferred everything from old to new - and will have an iPad that is effectively not yours. Starting again from scratch is recommended.

Dec 8, 2021 6:52 AM in response to LotusPilot

The latter is where it’s at. I did a transfer of data from one to the other but why would an app that I purchased with my account, one that she never used require her sign in and password verification to open it? And how do I remove her information from the new iPad? Do I have to delete certain apps and re-purchase them? This shouldn’t be the case.

Removing saved data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.