Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook CPU temperature

Hi, is it safe to let my MacBook Pro's fans to run at their max speed (6864 RPM) for more than an hour?

Will it damage the CPU or will it destroy the fans?

Model:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 1:10 PM

thatnoobMRVR wrote:

Also I run apps like VMware on it and I am not sure if they can be a cause for the high fan speeds.

Yes. Emulators require a lot of CPU power and RAM. Games task the GPU. It adds up. Also the 13-inch Macbook Pro has only one cooling fan. I don’t do heavy gaming on mine.

4 replies

Dec 7, 2021 10:39 AM in response to thatnoobMRVR

If your fans are running at that speed for an hour, there is serious underlying heat issue at play.

Start with this Apple article:

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Blocked air vents and useless third-party anti-virus and cleaner apps are prime suspects. Google Chrome also is demanding enough to raise temps.

Dec 7, 2021 10:32 AM in response to thatnoobMRVR

Quote:”more than an hour?”

It shouldn’t cause any problems… BUT why is it running for 1 hour nonstop? Are you controlling the fans or are you doing something CPU/GPU process intensive?

IF you are using a third part app… Usually, it is not recommended to artificially control the fans (let the Mac do it’s thing…unless something is wrong with the system…)

MacBook CPU temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.