Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2020 cpu sits at 100 degrees Celsius?

Hello, after a couple weeks of having my new MackBook air 2020, I realized the temperature would always sit around or at 100 degrees Celsius constantly and the fans would blast at full speed when I would do Microsoft Team calls and slight multitasking. If my cpu sits at 100 degrees Celsius for a long time, will this eventually kill my cpu and motherboard in the long run? Or is the MacBook Air 10th generation processors and late motherboards built to handle these operating conditions? Thanks!

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 6:06 PM

While lower temperatures are much better for the longevity of electronics you are still running the CPU within its normal operating parameters (barely). I'm sure it does lessen the overall life of the system to some extent.

You should post the EtreCheck report to rule out any possible software issues that may be causing the CPU to have higher utilization.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2020 6:06 PM in response to William_Phillips

While lower temperatures are much better for the longevity of electronics you are still running the CPU within its normal operating parameters (barely). I'm sure it does lessen the overall life of the system to some extent.

You should post the EtreCheck report to rule out any possible software issues that may be causing the CPU to have higher utilization.

Sep 9, 2020 7:19 PM in response to William_Phillips

The 2018+ MBAirs have an extremely poor cooling system since the heatsink has no heatpipe going to the fan for cooling so this laptop will run much hotter than other Macs.

Once the CPU temps go over a certain threshold (somewhere just above 100C) the CPU will throttle itself if the fan is running at its maximum 8,000 rpm in order to lower temperatures so the CPU doesn't overheat. The CPU speed will automatically increase once the CPU core temperature cools a bit.

To check for other possible software issues that may be working the laptop harder than it needs to run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

MacBook Air 2020 cpu sits at 100 degrees Celsius?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.