Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High cpu temperatures

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro 13inch and I have been doing some gaming lately. The cpu is sitting at around 80 to 95 degrees celsius for around half an hour to an hour at a time while the fan is at around 5000rpm. I just want to confirm the cpu can take such high temps for this length of time and if it will have too much of an effect on my machine. The computer is plugged in the whole time by the way, thank you for any replies I receive.😃

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 6:03 AM

That's an OK temperature while gaming (heavy CPU load), don't worry.

About high temps for a long period, yes they can affect machines in time, but don't go crazy over it, just make sure your CPU does not exceed 100 celsius for that long time.

High temps can also affect performance, once system management will reduce its clock speeds in order to maintain temperature under control (under 100 degrees).

That will also speed up thermal paste lifetime decrease, so if your Mac exceeds 100 celsius over the time, make sure to open your Mac and give it a good and fresh thermal paste, I'd say every year or two.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 6:03 AM in response to JackMBP19

That's an OK temperature while gaming (heavy CPU load), don't worry.

About high temps for a long period, yes they can affect machines in time, but don't go crazy over it, just make sure your CPU does not exceed 100 celsius for that long time.

High temps can also affect performance, once system management will reduce its clock speeds in order to maintain temperature under control (under 100 degrees).

That will also speed up thermal paste lifetime decrease, so if your Mac exceeds 100 celsius over the time, make sure to open your Mac and give it a good and fresh thermal paste, I'd say every year or two.

High cpu temperatures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.