Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

very high cpu temperature without reasons

I have a MacBook pro 13' 2019, it starts to warm up literally from the beginning of work.I thought I would find a way to solve the problem, but I couldn't. At first I thought that my macbook was warming up because of the old thermal paste, but just today it was replaced by a master, and nothing has changed. I don't play it, I just work, and I don't work with heavy applications like photoshop.

Anybody knows why this is?

P.S.: I think also that cpu usage looks like hills is not very good.

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 10:15 AM

See this document about the operating temperature of Mac notebooks 'Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures' - Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

I don't see a temperature mentioned. Is it outside the recommended range?

7 replies

Jun 8, 2023 10:59 AM in response to Alexandrinthesky

If the notebook thinks it is too warm it will shut down.

I can't find any expected temperature ranges in Apple's documentation Welcome to MacBook Pro Essentials - Apple Support

but I seem to recall that notebooks will run warmer. I have an iMac and it is currently at 41°C with just browsing this discussion forum. While your temperatures are higher, for an actual CPU temperature they may not be excessive. Check the suggestions made in the document I provided earlier. I know when I used to use a notebook I had a fan blowing on it, or even one of those notebook stands with a fan underneath.

Jun 10, 2023 9:23 PM in response to Alexandrinthesky

Those temperatures are perfectly normal. These newer Intel Macs run much hotter than older models. Sometimes just moving the pointer or opening a file may cause the CPU temp to spike to 80C for a moment as the CPU core is used.

I have performed tests with our organization's Apple laptops in order to understand what temperatures are expected so I can better troubleshoot system issues. I'm not aware of any documentation detailing this behavior.

If you feel the system is running too hot, then it is likely due to some third party app which has been installed. Typical culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer aps, third party security software, and bittorrent/file sharing apps (first three types are not needed on a Mac). Sometimes a file system issue or an externally connected device could be causing a problem. Booting into Safe Mode should prevent third party software from automatically launching during boot & login so you should see a bit lower temperatures while "idle", but when using apps the temps will easily go up to those you have already mentioned.

You can run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. The diagnostics are usually pretty good about alerting to any issues with the cooling system. If the diagnostics do not report an issue with the cooling system, then most likely everything is normal except for the possibilities I have already outlined.

very high cpu temperature without reasons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.