Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Critically high CPU temperatures - MacBook Pro Retina late 2012 13'

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you whether you know any particular methods to cool the laptop, as the CPU has been idling around 65/70°C, and even video playback on YouTube can get the temperatures up to 105°C, causing the CPU to throttle. I'd even consider drilling some holes in the bottom case.

Thank you in advance!

Ps: I recently replaced the thermal compound and dusted the fans, so this method is not effective.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 8:54 AM

giorgio74 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you whether you know any particular methods to cool the laptop, as the CPU has been idling around 65/70°C, and even video playback on YouTube can get the temperatures up to 105°C, causing the CPU to throttle. I'd even consider drilling some holes in the bottom case.
Thank you in advance!
Ps: I recently replaced the thermal compound and dusted the fans, so this method is not effective.

Drilling holes in your computer is not recommended.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201640

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 8:54 AM in response to giorgio74

giorgio74 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Drilling holes in your computer is not recommended.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201640

Aug 21, 2021 11:32 AM in response to giorgio74

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are reported.

Try an SMC Reset.

You most likely have some third party software installed that is working your laptop too hard which is increasing the CPU temps. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

As @leroydouglas mentions drilling holes into the case is definitely not the answer and may even make the problem worse. Make sure all the vents at the sides are clear.

Critically high CPU temperatures - MacBook Pro Retina late 2012 13'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.