Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Macbook Pro temperature with 90% CPU idle

Probably I'm not undertanding something correctly but when I'm using Unity or Logic, my Macbook Pro starts heating up (65-70 degrees), but on the Activity Monitor, although Unity is using 60% CPU, it says that 90% of the CPU is idle.

It's not supposed that the macbook could use part of this idle CPU so it doesn't get too hot?

Like I said, probably it's something i ignore, could someone tell me?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 12, 2022 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 6:47 PM

It is up to the app's developer's how the app utilizes the CPU cores. Some workflows are not conducive to utilizing multiple cores. So at times an app may only be able to utilize a single core, while another workload in the same app may be able to utilize all the CPU cores. Make sure macOS is up to date and all your third party apps as well. Make sure you are using the correct versions of third party apps which are compatible with the OS you are running (check the developer's website to make sure you using the correct version of the app(s) for your OS).

It is not unusual for an Apple laptop's temperatures to be in the 60C to 80C range even for "light" tasks.

It is also possible you have some other third party software installed that is causing the computer to run hotter. Typically anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software will interfere with the normal operation of macOS including making the Mac run hotter than normal.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 6:47 PM in response to sergi176

It is up to the app's developer's how the app utilizes the CPU cores. Some workflows are not conducive to utilizing multiple cores. So at times an app may only be able to utilize a single core, while another workload in the same app may be able to utilize all the CPU cores. Make sure macOS is up to date and all your third party apps as well. Make sure you are using the correct versions of third party apps which are compatible with the OS you are running (check the developer's website to make sure you using the correct version of the app(s) for your OS).

It is not unusual for an Apple laptop's temperatures to be in the 60C to 80C range even for "light" tasks.

It is also possible you have some other third party software installed that is causing the computer to run hotter. Typically anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software will interfere with the normal operation of macOS including making the Mac run hotter than normal.

High Macbook Pro temperature with 90% CPU idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.