You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS accuracy of iPhone Xs with iOS 15.1 - is 3metres about right?

Does anyone know the iPhone specification with respect to relative accuracy of an iPhone XS running up-to-date iOS15.1 software?

For example, relative to the iPhone's 'true' location, how innately accurate is the GPS accuracy of the microchip inside the iPhone XS? For example, I've read in an earlier Apple Discussion post that back in 2012, an iPhone of that day possessed GPS accuracy within 3metres of it's true location.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4187946?answerId=19204685022#19204685022

Would a 2019-era iPhone XS be better (i.e. 1metre), worse or about the same 3 metres?

While I understand that environmental variables such a heavy cloud cover and dense tree foliage, plus the positioning of and number of orbiting satellites used by any iPhone can negatively affect accuracy, I am interested in finding an Apple sanctioned value as far as GPS accuracy is concerned.

I'd appreciate knowing if there are any Apple bulletins that cite specific performance characteristics. Cheers!

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 2:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 2:23 PM

See especially the remarks concerning Precise Location here.

Control the location information you share on iPhone - Apple Support

Precise Location is an iPhone feature you may choose to use.

2 replies

Dec 7, 2021 2:33 PM in response to sberman

Yes, I agree that configuring the iPhone XS, by turning on Precise Location thru Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Google Maps>Precise Location enables superior GPS accuracy.

What I continue to seek is Apple guidance on the optimized GPS accuracy once this exists. A supplemental question would be whether different iPhone models, using different microchips, carry different GPS accuracy metrics.

GPS accuracy of iPhone Xs with iOS 15.1 - is 3metres about right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.