Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

silence Notifications - how to turn them back on

How to you turn OFF "silence notifications" for one contact? I've checked do not disturb and volumes, etc. the volume is up, "do not disturb" is off. All instructions I have found online do not apply as the newest IOS is up to date as of today (12-7-2021)

Any helps?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 3:36 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 8, 2021 1:36 PM in response to JanneZack

Hello JanneZack,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It looks like you're having a question about turning off "Silence Notifications" for a specific contact on your iPhone, and we'd be happy to provide some guidance.

"When you set up a Focus, you can select Allowed Notifications from people and apps. You can also enable Time Sensitive notifications from apps, which allows apps not in your allowed list to send notifications marked as Time Sensitive."

Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Dec 8, 2021 2:24 PM in response to karina184

This is not helpful. I am receiving notifications (audible when my sound is turned on) for ALL text messages with only ONE exception, my husband. I don't know how his texts were silenced, but they are and I can't get them back on for this one contact. I cannot lose his texts or else I'd just re-enter his contact information and delete the old one to see if that didn't work, but I don't want to lose his old texts as there is much information to be saved there.

Dec 8, 2021 2:44 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have already checked this. I'm not hiding alerts, The conversation is not muted, Do Not Disturb is not on and my volume is at high. In his message thread there is a moon and a statement that says his messages have been silenced.

The Focus I need for his texts to be silenced when others are silenced (such as at night or in meetings) but otherwise, I need them to ring out. I just want them to all act the same.

Dec 8, 2021 3:35 PM in response to JanneZack

The moon you are seeing is showing that his thread is on Do Not Disturb. The name was different in the older iOS. I notice when I turn on Hide Alerts for someone, the icon on the message is a bell with a line through it. I'm seeing if I can find where that old setting is for do not disturb for a message.

Okay, so you have his messages silenced under specific conditions with a custom set Focus? But that Focus is off?

silence Notifications - how to turn them back on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.