Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting an error message trying to use a new external hard drive-"couldn't unmount disk". How do I fix that?

I'm getting an error message while trying to use a new external hard drive-"couldn't unmount disk", when I try to erase it. How do I fix that?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 2:04 AM

In Disk Utilities and with the External Drive attached - the drive should appear in Disk Utilities - Does it ?

In DU click View >> View All Attached Devices >> Choose the Upper Most Drive by the Manufactures Name ( not the volumes indented and list below ). That is the Drive to Format as per ones need ( APFS / GUID ) or HFS Journaled / GUID or some other format if moving drive between Apple and Windows computers.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 2:04 AM in response to studio45

In Disk Utilities and with the External Drive attached - the drive should appear in Disk Utilities - Does it ?

In DU click View >> View All Attached Devices >> Choose the Upper Most Drive by the Manufactures Name ( not the volumes indented and list below ). That is the Drive to Format as per ones need ( APFS / GUID ) or HFS Journaled / GUID or some other format if moving drive between Apple and Windows computers.

Jan 11, 2022 8:16 PM in response to PRP_53

I am having a similar issue. I want to copy across my photos library to an external hard drive but am unable to do so because the external drive is in NFTS. I have followed the advice above, however:

1. I select the external hard drive
  2. I click erase and chose ExFat
  3. I receive the message, "Unmounting disk - the volume "Toshiba Ext" on disk4s1 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel). Couldn't unmount disk: (-69888). Operation failed..."

I looked at videos on YouTube which then discuss coding fixes. That is beyond my skillset.

How can I proceed simply?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2022 5:58 PM in response to cjSpokane

I have the same WD MyPassport 2TB EHD and as of either today or yesterday it is not showing up on my screen when I connect it to my new MacBook Pro. I was told to go on disc utilities and was not able to mount. I tried fIrst aid but that didn't work either. There was a software update last night that didn't complete last night (not sure why) so I updated it this evening. Not sure if the update has any bearing on why my EHD suddenly decided not to work. Any idea what I need to do? I am a new Mac user and not technically savvy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 9, 2021 11:16 AM in response to studio45

I had this same issue yesterday with a WD MyPassport 2TB SSD. I found that I had to open disk utility, then force eject the external drive before being able to erase and reformat it in disk utility. I kept receiving an error in DU that it wasn't able to unmount the drive, one error mentioned the drive was in use (I'm guessing by the WD utilities in the background). I tried to eject it and received an error that the drive was in use and not able to eject, so I had to force eject it. After that, I was able to erase and format it in DU. Now it is operating as expected (I'm using this mainly for Time Machine backups).

Dec 9, 2021 1:41 PM in response to cjSpokane

May I suggest strongly to uninstalled the Bundled Software at probably came when the WD Drive was new. The bundles software often time introduces a conflict with the macOS installed on the computer. Plus, more often than not - their software is buggy as least of incompatible at best.

Besides, macOS is very very capable in managing the External Drive without third party software complicating matter

Jan 15, 2022 4:58 PM in response to Bin57again

I had another go and followed your advice to JoFerrand on the other post. I entered the command in the Terminal.

Last login: Sun Jan 16 10:33:30 on console

bernieedmond@Bernies-iMac ~ % ^[[200~sudo fuser -c /dev/disk2s2~

zsh: bad pattern: ^[[200~sudo

bernieedmond@Bernies-iMac ~ % 

bernieedmond@Bernies-iMac ~ % ^[[200~sudo fuser -c /dev/disk2s2~

zsh: bad pattern: ^[[200~sudo

bernieedmond@Bernies-iMac ~ % sudo fuser -c /dev/disk2s2

Password:

Sorry, try again.

Password:

/dev/disk2s2: 

bernieedmond@Bernies-iMac ~ % sudo fuser -c /dev/disk2s2

/dev/disk2s2: 

bernieedmond@Bernies-iMac ~ % 

I then went back into DiskUtility and tried to erase the external hard drive and got the same error message:

Unmounting disk

The volume "Toshiba Ext" on disk6s1 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)

Couldn't unmount disk. : (-69888)

Operation failed...

Final question, then I will give up... am I doing something really basic incorrectly?

Thanks for your patience.

I'm getting an error message trying to use a new external hard drive-"couldn't unmount disk". How do I fix that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.