Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have installed a new 7 tb hard drive and I cannot prepare it. I get the error message "Couldn't unmount disk" What do I have to do to correct this?

I have installed a new 7 tb hard drive and I cannot prepare it. I get the error message "Couldn't unmount disk" What do I have to do to correct this?

iMac

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 12:55 PM

You have not provided enough details.

What is the exact model of the Mac and version of macOS being used? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

Is this an internal or external drive? And what file system (if any) is currently on the drive? Are you using any third party software to manage the drive? Using the drive manufacturer's third party software is usually a recipe for future problems.

Usually the "Couldn't unmount disk" means macOS is still accessing files on that drive. Try rebooting the Mac to see if you can then erase the drive. When erasing the drive you will want to select the whole physical drive within Disk Utility and use the GUID partition type. The file system you choose will depend on how you will use the drive. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you still cannot erase the drive because it cannot be unmounted, then you need to figure out which app or process is still accessing the drive. This can be a bit tricky and even difficult sometimes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 12:55 PM in response to techguru1951

You have not provided enough details.

What is the exact model of the Mac and version of macOS being used? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

Is this an internal or external drive? And what file system (if any) is currently on the drive? Are you using any third party software to manage the drive? Using the drive manufacturer's third party software is usually a recipe for future problems.

Usually the "Couldn't unmount disk" means macOS is still accessing files on that drive. Try rebooting the Mac to see if you can then erase the drive. When erasing the drive you will want to select the whole physical drive within Disk Utility and use the GUID partition type. The file system you choose will depend on how you will use the drive. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you still cannot erase the drive because it cannot be unmounted, then you need to figure out which app or process is still accessing the drive. This can be a bit tricky and even difficult sometimes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.