Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac Mini with LG 5k External Monitor Issues

I got the M1 Mac mini Feb 2020. It is connected to a 5K LG monitor, Often (not 100% of the time) the display remains off when I hit the space bar to wake the computer up. I have to unplug the connection from the Mac mini port and plug back in to get going. I called apple support back in February 2020 and we checked the cable and ran through some trouble shooting steps, but did not work. I even sent in a sysdiagnoses data for the engineers to review. The last conversation was apple would get back to me once it was resolved. So, I was hoping it would be fixed with an update. Fast forward to current Monterey and still have the issue.

Has anybody else have this issue and did you find a solution or workaround?

I have tried in the past to select prevent computer going to sleep in power preferences, and does not help either.

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 10:34 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 9, 2021 4:42 AM in response to eagle442

Does the display come back on when you move the mouse (it should). If it does then perhaps it is an issue with your keyboard. I have the same setup and no issue coming back from sleep (although it take a few seconds). If you set to "turn display off never" in the energy saver pane it should stay on. Just use a screen saver instead.

Dec 9, 2021 6:28 AM in response to eagle442

Good move to check "Prevent your Mac from Automatically sleeping"

I would also uncheck "Put hard disk to sleep" and Wake for network access" and test computer Sleep from the Apple dropdown Menu. I say that because my Mac Mini running Monterey has no issue Sleeping when manually put to sleep. The only difference from earlier macOS versions is that it take two clicks, one to wake the computer and one to wake the displays.

Dec 9, 2021 8:55 AM in response to den.thed

“sleep/wake my Mac than continually have to start it up”

??? If it’s not sleeping, a tap is all you need to bring the display alive. As for external drives, depending on which one, they usually come with (configurable) built-in sleep functionality. When not in use, drives consume negligible power anyway.

The point is, flawless manual sleep is not a universal solution/workaround for wake-from-sleep issues. It’s very much config and peripheral-specific, and even then has limited benefit.

M1 Mac Mini with LG 5k External Monitor Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.