Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k

My Apple TV 4k wont connect to my wifi consistently. Just says unable to join. Sometimes it *will* connect but later drops off.

My wifi is very strong, my old Apple TV box works fine, and I’ve taken the 4K box in for repair and I took it in again after it had been repaired and they swapped it for a new one so I guess it must be something about my set up but I just can’t work out what. Driving me crazy! Like I say, my 3rd gen box is in exactly the same place as I had the 4K box and works perfectly!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 12:13 PM

1. Unplug your modem from its power source and Restart Modem.
  2. Unplug your router from its power source and Restart router.
  3. Unplug Apple TV from Power for 2-3 minutes – re-plug in and retest.

It is possible you network is no longer up to the task. Let me explain, several years ago I had similar issue with my Apple TV. My home is about 2500 sq. ft. and at the time supported 20-25 Wi-Fi devices. I tried network extenders (total waste of time and money) so I looked for another solution, I landed on using a Mesh network. If your home is 1500 sq. ft. or larger or is more than 1 story or you support more than 5-10 Wi-Fi devices at home you also may be a candidate for a Mesh network. This includes TVs, Apple TVs, smart phones, tablets, smart home devices, thermostats, home security devices and the list goes on.

After upgrading my network, I now have about 40-45 Wi-Fi devices in the house and now have no problems. We have 4 Apple TVs and 3 are 4K units, all work perfectly. Please remember an Apple TV 4K will take up more bandwidth than an Apple TV 3. We also have smart TVs, smart phones, HT Receiver, Smart Home devices, tablets, multiple iMacs and the list goes on. I would recommend:

1. Inventory the amoutn of Wi-Fi devices at your home.
  2. Test your network strength using a tool like iStumbler where the Apple TV 4K unit is located. It is possible if your network router is older and you have more than 5-10 Wi-Fi devices you might also be a Mesh network candidate.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 12:13 PM in response to GobshyteWhyte

1. Unplug your modem from its power source and Restart Modem.
  2. Unplug your router from its power source and Restart router.
  3. Unplug Apple TV from Power for 2-3 minutes – re-plug in and retest.

It is possible you network is no longer up to the task. Let me explain, several years ago I had similar issue with my Apple TV. My home is about 2500 sq. ft. and at the time supported 20-25 Wi-Fi devices. I tried network extenders (total waste of time and money) so I looked for another solution, I landed on using a Mesh network. If your home is 1500 sq. ft. or larger or is more than 1 story or you support more than 5-10 Wi-Fi devices at home you also may be a candidate for a Mesh network. This includes TVs, Apple TVs, smart phones, tablets, smart home devices, thermostats, home security devices and the list goes on.

After upgrading my network, I now have about 40-45 Wi-Fi devices in the house and now have no problems. We have 4 Apple TVs and 3 are 4K units, all work perfectly. Please remember an Apple TV 4K will take up more bandwidth than an Apple TV 3. We also have smart TVs, smart phones, HT Receiver, Smart Home devices, tablets, multiple iMacs and the list goes on. I would recommend:

1. Inventory the amoutn of Wi-Fi devices at your home.
  2. Test your network strength using a tool like iStumbler where the Apple TV 4K unit is located. It is possible if your network router is older and you have more than 5-10 Wi-Fi devices you might also be a Mesh network candidate.

Apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.