Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

networked Hard Drives won't connect

I can't connect to other Mac drives on my network, keep getting "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for [whatever drive I've sleceted] can’t be found."

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 5:04 PM

OK... so this turns out to be an old problem and it's a simple [yet annoying] problem. Made worse by the difficultly in finding the right "language" to describe the problem AND / OR the fact that some of the language is specific, like "Jargon" that guys like me don't even know! add acronyms as well...SO....

I found on the forums here, that folks fixed this problem by turning "off" then back "on" the "file sharing" selection [checkmark] within the computer that you can't access the Hard Drives, on. Then reboot or "relaunch" the finder by "force quitting" the Finder [command, option, escape KEYS] on both machines and wha-la all of a sudden I can add the drives [of the Mac Pro up in the studio] on my Laptop [down in the study] over the local network.

problem solved turn file sharing off and then back on, within the computer [that has the drives] that you can't connect too, reboot or relaunch, done.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 5:04 PM in response to ZX11ninja

OK... so this turns out to be an old problem and it's a simple [yet annoying] problem. Made worse by the difficultly in finding the right "language" to describe the problem AND / OR the fact that some of the language is specific, like "Jargon" that guys like me don't even know! add acronyms as well...SO....

I found on the forums here, that folks fixed this problem by turning "off" then back "on" the "file sharing" selection [checkmark] within the computer that you can't access the Hard Drives, on. Then reboot or "relaunch" the finder by "force quitting" the Finder [command, option, escape KEYS] on both machines and wha-la all of a sudden I can add the drives [of the Mac Pro up in the studio] on my Laptop [down in the study] over the local network.

problem solved turn file sharing off and then back on, within the computer [that has the drives] that you can't connect too, reboot or relaunch, done.

Dec 8, 2021 2:31 PM in response to lllaass

Love to try that... but I don't know exactly how to do what you've described

I can tell you that I have a few Mac's on this network. a "Trashcan" and a couple "cheese grater' mac's [one a 2009 with Mojave OS and the 2007with Lion OS (because it runs an OLD hardware version of "ProTools HD 8.1")] I routinely connect an audio Hard drive [thats running on the 2007] to the Trashcan [thru the network]... no problem. but the 2009 and my MacBook Pro keep giving me that warning. I can even share the desktop... but can't connect to the Hard Drives by them selves... if I'm making any sense?

Dec 8, 2021 3:04 PM in response to lllaass

also, I Just checked to see if I could connect to a drive on the 2007 /10.7.5, by using the new MacBook and sure enough no problem connected perfectly thru the network. so I went to the trashcan Mac and and looked at "sharing"... made some adjustment, re-launched the Finder [on both Mac's] but still the same message [even though I can still connect to the 2007 Mac's Drives with no problem. help LOL

networked Hard Drives won't connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.