Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving large iTunes library from Windows 7 to Windows 11 computer, different drive letters

I'm retiring a Windows 7 desktop pc that has hosted my iTunes implementation for 11 years (since 2010), and want to port the iTunes music and artwork files to a new Windows 11 system.

The old system is running iTunes 12.10.11.2. I've installed iTunes 12.12.2.2 on the new system.

On the old system, the music files are stored here (1,057 folders, 7,049 files):

C:\iTunes Lossless Media\<all albums>

On the old system, the album cover image files are stored here (2,651 folders, 1,782 files):

C:\Users\<MyName>\Music\iTunes\Album Artwork

On the old system, the iTunes Library.itl file is located here:

C:\Users\<MyName>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl

I'm looking for the best way to move the app files from the old system to the new system. I want to locate the audio and image files on the supplemental (D:) hard disc drive on the new pc, rather than default to the 'C:\Users' path. Since the source folders don't reside under one common parent folder on the old system, I'm not sure how to structure them on the new system.

I know that iTunes has gone through various architectural changes over the years, leading to some migration process ambiguity, and various caveats regarding the best way to proceed.

I've read the support article "Move your iTunes library to another computer" available here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/move-your-itunes-library-to-another-computer-itns3230/windows

The article doesn't deal with my situation. I'm concerned that the 'iTunes Library.itl' file may contain pointers to C:\iTunes Lossless Media\ for the music files, but that folder will not exist on the new pc; the music and artwork files will be on the D: drive.

Any informed assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 2:05 PM

This is a user to user support forum. Sometimes the right person isn't around at the right time.

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In general you need to either prepare your library so that it is agnostic about file paths, or copy everything to exactly the same paths on the new system. I have techniques or tools to rearrange the media before you start, or potentially repair broken links after the fact. We can go into details if required.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 2:05 PM in response to ozoneman

This is a user to user support forum. Sometimes the right person isn't around at the right time.

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In general you need to either prepare your library so that it is agnostic about file paths, or copy everything to exactly the same paths on the new system. I have techniques or tools to rearrange the media before you start, or potentially repair broken links after the fact. We can go into details if required.

tt2

Dec 9, 2021 7:10 AM in response to ozoneman

To summarize:

1. Can I accomplish this port in one pass, or will it require two passes, the first to move the library folders to the new pc as-is (i.e., all folders and files on the C: drive), and a second pass to move the music files from 'C:\iTunes Lossless Media\' to 'D:\iTunes Lossless Media\'?

2. Is it even possible to install the artwork files on a D: drive, given that iTunes provides no way (that I'm aware of) to put the Album Artwork folder anywhere but 'C:\Users\<MyName>\Music\iTunes\Album Artwork'?

Dec 18, 2021 4:59 PM in response to ozoneman

Well, it's been 10 days since I posted this request for help; I guess no help is coming.

Some Apple folk may think that the library port question has been asked and answered so many times that no additional posts are necessary. However, the cookbook-style posts that I've seen (i.e., lists of directions) are inadequate, inconsistent and sometimes flat out wrong.

What's missing is a different kind of post that explains the iTunes file architecture, with concentration on the linkages that the application uses in its various files, and the migratory constraints that the system imposes. Which files contain pointers (paths) to elements in other files? Which files can be moved elsewhere on a Windows system and which can't? What's hard-coded?

For example, is it possible to install the artwork files elsewhere, and if so, how is that possible given that iTunes, under Edit > Preferences > Advanced, provides no explicit way to specify a location for the artwork folder structure? What rules govern the location of that folder structure?

And why can't iTunes reuse artwork already obtained if the Media folder location is changed? I've had to re-acquire the same album covers so many times I've lost count.

Perhaps the problem is that the iTunes file architecture has changed so many times over the years that there is no single, "cookbook" explanation for accomplishing a clean, straightforward port to another system or alternate folder location. Perhaps it depends on when the app was originally installed, and what folder architecture was prevalent at that time.

You might say that iTunes is free and therefore I have no right to complain, but I've made a big investment in iTunes, and in my Apple Lossless music library over the years, and have purchased many tracks via iTunes. So I'd like to see Apple make a more substantial investment in iTunes Support, and not see inquiries like mine go 10 days without a response.

Dec 20, 2021 2:21 PM in response to ozoneman

Sometimes posts fall through the cracks and go unanswered. This is mostly a user to user forum, not directly Apple Support. So sometimes the person that knows about a specific issue isn't around and the post can be pushed back and not be easily seen.

You are in the most complex of situations where your library is strewn about in different locations on your hard drive, and you want to move it to a place where paths will be different entirely.

As TT said, you'll need to make a choice. Making the library portable, or trying to relocate everything as is, and then modifying the paths so iTunes finds everything once its moved.

Basically the location of the artwork is not as important as the location of the media. iTunes will continue to find your artwork once moved to the D: since internally it knows where in relation to the iTunes Library file that artwork is as a relative path but will not find the media files since they will no longer be in the absolute path C:\iTunes Lossless Media but on D:\iTunes Lossless Media.

Read Turingtest's link and then post back with any questions and decisions about how you want to proceed.

Dec 27, 2021 4:51 AM in response to ozoneman

first to go itunes prefs [control or command plus ,] and choose the advanced tab top left or control command +6 (assumding you have latest itunes [settings have been around forever on mac and pc but the location of access changed through menus so google it to fill this gap if one occurs)

check:

keep itunes media organized

copy files to media folder when adding

then go to file library and consolidate it (maybe chgoose a desktop folder for easy access)

after consolidation completes transfer the folder to a usb or ext hdd.

backup your playlists using: file> library export PL to XML works best especially for mac/win environments, save them to a folder

ignore the itunes library xml files as they dont transfer well between computers unless its the same OS to same OS in the same day and time and version etc also compiled librarys dont work and letting it rebuild the xml once in a while takes time but improves the integrity of a library for backup purposes over time. this includes artwork and volume level settings. if u sub to itunes match every couple years you get better quality files as well

once u have media files and xml playlists on a usb drive in the new pc, sign into the store and auth your comp then go file add folder to lib

then import each PL under file>lib>import PL

let itunes do its thing depending on your settings when re-adding consolidated media folder to new library ie checking volume and gapless playback info, etc. if youre signed in it will get artwork again for you as well. the new library xml file created will be more stable than your 2010 ver. ;)

Moving large iTunes library from Windows 7 to Windows 11 computer, different drive letters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.