Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Dictation Doesn't Enter Smart Quotes In Any App Regardless Of System Settings

Apple dictation doesn't enter smart quotes in any app regardless of system settings. I have smart quotes enabled on my MacBook Air. When I type using the keyboard, the system automatically and correctly replaces the straight quotes with curly quotes at both the beginning and end of a sentence. However, when I use Apple Dictation to enter the same quotation marks and text, the system enters them as straight quotes.

This error happens in native Apple apps like Notes and Mail and in external apps like MS Word and Scrivener.

The problem has existed for years through multiple iterations of macOS and on numerous devices. I am an author, so this error becomes tedious and distracting when writing manuscripts over 100,000 words. Having to do a find and replace every time he is less than ideal. I know this functionality is possible as Dragon Dictation did this properly, but it is no longer supported on Mac.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 8:03 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 11, 2021 7:22 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX, thank you for the tip. You unknowingly revealed a different fix. It turns out that while Dictation won't enter smart quotes, but Voice Control will. When I enabled Voice Control after inputting your suggested custom commands, I tried it, but instead of saying Left Double, I fell back into my usual, saying Open Quote by force of habit. When I did, the system entered a smart quote.

Side note, when I used the custom commands of Left and Right Double, the system inputted unformatted smart quotes. It didn't follow the formatting of the document into which I was typing. It entered an entirely different paragraph style, font, and size. However, as previously stated that was rendered moot by the discovery of voice control's utilization of smart quotes. Thanks for your help!

Dec 10, 2021 11:36 AM in response to deanmcole

You can create custom phrases for dictation. For example, I entered the following content using the phrase, left double test right double in Pages v11.2, macOS 11.6.1. Monterey should be no different.

In System Preferences > Accessibility panel > Voice Control panel, click the Commands… button. Click the + button to add a new command. In the When I say field: enter your personal left smart quote command. While using: Any Application, and Perform: Paste Text. The latter will open a small window where you enter the keystroke option+[. Now, click the + again to do this for the right smart quote which will be shift+option+[. Then click done. These are the keystrokes on a U.S. English keyboard.

On the Voice Control Panel, click Enable Voice Control so your commands are active. Open the document where you plan to dictate, click on it, and try out your new quote commands.

When you are done with dictation, click this Enable Voice Control again to disable it.

Dec 10, 2021 10:06 AM in response to deanmcole

Hello deanmcole,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you’re running into an issue with Smart Quotes on your Mac when using Dictation. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved so you don’t need to do the “find and replace” task every time. If needed, this article gives more information about smart quotes on macOS Monterey: Replace text and punctuation in documents on Mac. 

While this does work with standard typing, you are correct that it will not work when dictating verbally to your Mac. We welcome all thoughts, comments and suggestions, on the Dictation feature or any other Apple products and services. Send us feedback on this here: Apple Feedback.

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

Apple Dictation Doesn't Enter Smart Quotes In Any App Regardless Of System Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.