Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Geofence only works with Home location now

For years I’ve used HomeKit during the winter months to turn the thermostat down “When the Last Person Leaves Home” and put it back to the comfort setting “When the First Person Arrives Home”. Occasionally I would use a custom automation to set the thermostat back to the comfort setting when leaving a location, ie a restaurant, by entering its address in place of “Home”. That way the house had extra time to warm back up.

This winter, the arrive/leave Home automations still work but a custom location doesn’t. To eliminate the thermostat I’ve tried turning a light on when leaving a location without success. To eliminate my phone I set up an automation on my wife’s phone that didn’t work. Today, to eliminate cellular data I turned off Wi-Fi, set up separate automations to turn one light on when I left home and turn another one on when I arrived. They both worked as did the thermostat automations.

It seems something is broken with iOS 15 where custom locations in HomeKit no longer work. What I’ve noticed is different between setting up the location automations is that for the Home location, it permits any or all of the people included in that Home to trigger the automation whereas for a custom location, only the person the phone is associated with can trigger the automation. I don’t recall if this was the case before.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix?

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 12:10 PM

Had the automation set to a new address and was there for only five minutes. The light was turned on at home when I got there, so it seems the geofence is now working for addresses other than Home. What has changed is not clear. I did send feedback to Apple and maybe it’s something they needed to set on their side? 🤷🏻

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 12:10 PM in response to Recreational Mac User

Had the automation set to a new address and was there for only five minutes. The light was turned on at home when I got there, so it seems the geofence is now working for addresses other than Home. What has changed is not clear. I did send feedback to Apple and maybe it’s something they needed to set on their side? 🤷🏻

Dec 21, 2021 11:45 AM in response to Recreational Mac User

I’ve continued the set an address to trigger an automation to turn on a light at home when I leave, and today it worked. The difference from other occasions when it has failed to work is I was at the address for over two hours. Maybe it’s time related? Hoping iOS 15.3 will return this geofence option to pre iOS 15 functionality.

HomeKit Geofence only works with Home location now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.