Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File locations for iCloud for windows.

How do you change the iCloud Drive and Photos storage location on a windows pc? I have 2 drives, and my primary volume is too small to hold everything, whereas my data drive has more than enough room, I want to put it on my secondary drive, but iCloud installs everything default on c: and It never asks me where to install it. Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 3:33 PM

By default, iCloud for Windows stores your synced files in folders inside your username's path, which in most cases resides in disk C. In my case, for example, iCloud Drive's folders and files were copied to folder C:\Users\falomain\iCloudDrive when I enabled the iCloud Drive option after installing iCloud for Windows. 

Although I have plenty of space on my C drive, I prefer to keep all my personal content on an ever larger drive H, so I extrapolated Kalibur06's method of moving Photos to the case of Drive and it worked perfectly. This is what I changed on

Kalibur06's steps:

Origin folder: "C:\Users\falomain\iCloudDrive"

(Note: do NOT type the space between iCloud and Drive here) 

Destination folder: "H:\iCloud\iCloud Drive"

(Notes: I have read on distinct places a recommendation NOT to place iCloud's sync folders directly in the drive's root, e.g. H:\iCloud Drive"; you can freely use spaces in folder names here) 

IMPORTANT: If you later decide to move your files to a different location, use the iCloud's default as Origin folder and change the Destination folder only. In fact, you can continue to use the default path to access your iCloud Drive files because Windows will 'mask' the physical (destination) location with the original path, although storage space will be actually taken from the destination drive.

My thanks to @Kalibur06 for the excellent article.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 3:33 PM in response to scorpnet

By default, iCloud for Windows stores your synced files in folders inside your username's path, which in most cases resides in disk C. In my case, for example, iCloud Drive's folders and files were copied to folder C:\Users\falomain\iCloudDrive when I enabled the iCloud Drive option after installing iCloud for Windows. 

Although I have plenty of space on my C drive, I prefer to keep all my personal content on an ever larger drive H, so I extrapolated Kalibur06's method of moving Photos to the case of Drive and it worked perfectly. This is what I changed on

Kalibur06's steps:

Origin folder: "C:\Users\falomain\iCloudDrive"

(Note: do NOT type the space between iCloud and Drive here) 

Destination folder: "H:\iCloud\iCloud Drive"

(Notes: I have read on distinct places a recommendation NOT to place iCloud's sync folders directly in the drive's root, e.g. H:\iCloud Drive"; you can freely use spaces in folder names here) 

IMPORTANT: If you later decide to move your files to a different location, use the iCloud's default as Origin folder and change the Destination folder only. In fact, you can continue to use the default path to access your iCloud Drive files because Windows will 'mask' the physical (destination) location with the original path, although storage space will be actually taken from the destination drive.

My thanks to @Kalibur06 for the excellent article.

Jan 20, 2022 12:00 AM in response to JFM48

Oh did you need to re-check? That's not my experience. Try leaving the iCloud Drive option checked first and then proceeding with link creation.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm pretty sure that it would happen to me, too, if I would need to restart the iCloud Drive connection for any reason in the future!

Good luck, JFM48!

File locations for iCloud for windows.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.