Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iCloud like an external drive? I don't want it to make local copies on my Mac.

My storage under About this Mac swings back and forth from 250 GB free to 11KB free. I had moved all my photos, documents, etc to iCloud Drive to free up my Mac, but it keeps filling up. A CS rep from Apple told me that there is no way to stop my Mac from making a local copy of all the contents of iCloud drive. Surely there's a way...I hope?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 11:32 AM

You cannot use iCloud like an external drive. It is primarily a syncing service. You can reduce the local storage used by turning on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the Preferences sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage. See the following screenshot for a description of what that will do:

For Photos, see the information about optimizing storage in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 11:32 AM in response to robbyfromparagould

You cannot use iCloud like an external drive. It is primarily a syncing service. You can reduce the local storage used by turning on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the Preferences sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage. See the following screenshot for a description of what that will do:

For Photos, see the information about optimizing storage in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Can I use iCloud like an external drive? I don't want it to make local copies on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.