Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) running very slow

My iMac has started running very slow; I have attached the EtreCheck report

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Jack,

I assume you mean video/photo editing or similar software when you say professional. No, I do not use high-end software, mostly just Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint, web browsing, and email.

Sorry for missing your original post; here are the actions I will take:

1. SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE - Western Digital as your backup drive. (Time Machine)
  2. Go with the external SSD is the G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series Storage - Apple. $100 less than the LaCie, for what I use that should be good

Thank you

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 8:53 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack,

I assume you mean video/photo editing or similar software when you say professional. No, I do not use high-end software, mostly just Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint, web browsing, and email.

Sorry for missing your original post; here are the actions I will take:

1. SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE - Western Digital as your backup drive. (Time Machine)
  2. Go with the external SSD is the G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series Storage - Apple. $100 less than the LaCie, for what I use that should be good

Thank you

Dec 10, 2021 8:07 AM in response to Wikstrom

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you have no backup. If you do not have a Time Machine backup drive, I recommend using a SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE - Western Digital as your backup drive. You can then follow the Apple Support steps to setup your Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

I personally also use iCloud in addition to Time Machine to sync all my files and photos to all my Apple devices. Although iCloud is not a "true" backup service, iCloud can also act as an emergency backup, but this is why iCloud should be used in addition to Time Machine. Here are some resources on setting up iCloud for Mac:

However, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Jack

Dec 10, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Wikstrom

After reading the report I see both of these options, which one do you recommend? both of them say iMac (2019)

For iMac (Late 2012) - iMac (2019) computers and Mac mini (Late 2012) - Mac mini (Late 2014) computers, an excellent choice for an external SSD is the G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series Storage - Apple.

For iMac (2017) - iMac (2019) computers only, the LaCie Rugged SSD Pro External Drive with Thunderbolt 3 - Apple could also be considered. It is a more powerful external SSD than the G-DRIVE mobile SSD, but both are very fast.

Dec 10, 2021 8:27 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack,

Thank you for the fast reply. I did use time-machine at one time; however, I have moved to iCloud+ as my backup.

I understand that the 5400 rpm hard drive is not as efficient as an SSD drive, but it has not always been like that; at one time, the 5400 rpm worked just fine? So why now?

I will read your linked article on setting up and using an external SSD.

I do have one more question about RAM? Am I able to upgrade to more RAM, or am I at the maximum RAM.

Again thank you very much for the information that you have to provide.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) running very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.