Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

running slow

Hello, my 2015 iMac is becoming increasingly slow and I am wondering if 1) the only solution is to buy a new one 2) which one would be recommended?

Appreciate feedback from the community

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 11:53 PM

Hello again Jack,

sorry for being silent, I was documenting some of the options you had listed.

I talked to Apple technical support. They recommended a certain number of steps (restart in safe mode, reinstall MacOS, reinitiate some stuffs, etc...) which I did.

Then I ran another EtreCheck (report is attached below, translated in English).

According to this new report, the disk problem seems to have disappeared, however the computer speed is still "less than average", which I can feel (improved but still not at the expected level).

Would you please let me know what you think if there are steps I should take to resolve the speed issue?

Thank you again for your kind support.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 11:53 PM in response to Jack-19

Hello again Jack,

sorry for being silent, I was documenting some of the options you had listed.

I talked to Apple technical support. They recommended a certain number of steps (restart in safe mode, reinstall MacOS, reinitiate some stuffs, etc...) which I did.

Then I ran another EtreCheck (report is attached below, translated in English).

According to this new report, the disk problem seems to have disappeared, however the computer speed is still "less than average", which I can feel (improved but still not at the expected level).

Would you please let me know what you think if there are steps I should take to resolve the speed issue?

Thank you again for your kind support.

Mar 1, 2021 9:27 PM in response to vinceva33

Hi vinceva33,

We can try to find the issue on your current Mac before looking for a new one.

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for "EtreCheck."
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app; as it is on the Mac App Store, and only trusted apps can be submitted.
  3. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211 We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.
  4. If it asks for Full Disk Access, follow the prompts to enable it.

Also run Apple Diagnostics -  Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support Please post the Reference code when done.

Please post results of both!

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 2, 2021 12:47 AM in response to vinceva33

Right now, you cannot start off that backup disk. It need to be setup properly for this use. Even if that current Seagate drive is an SSD, you should get another, so that can still be used as a backup, plus the SSD startup disk.

If you want to proceed with this, I recommend the: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLRB2VC/A/g-technology-1tb-g-drive-mobile-ssd-r-series-storage?fnode=bf3b03e3682baa864343a19b606a186edb3d576b7a823e2e72119546b04d712dd19e34b765e00f01d9ecc42484bd9cdc53fab3c79524884df7259fafaabca00d042a1064e7dc1aa3ea54de2d4b27afb92189900a09ed2f311b759a705bba73e3. Also, Apple sells it, so Apple themselves trust the drive. It comes in 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB sizes. I can walk you through the steps in a separate post. (It will get too long in one.) If you get this drive, you will also need this cable: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-3-usb-3-1-type-a-to-usb-type-c-cable-works-with-chromebook-black/9511001.p?skuId=9511001.

For the Time Machine drive not working, if you go into the Time Machine drive on the computer, do backups show?

An AASP is an "Apple Authorized Service Provider". Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 1, 2021 10:34 PM in response to vinceva33

Luckily I was able to use Google Translate to read the report. :-)

Your hard drive is failing. Please backup all data immediately, as soon you will lose access to the data.

There are three paths you can take from here.

1. You can setup an appointment at an Apple Store or AASP and get the Mac repaired.
  2. (What I would do) Purchase an external USB SSD and run macOS off that. This becomes your startup disk, and even compared to a healthy hard drive, this SSD is around 7 times as fast for storage.
  3. You could scrap it all, and buy a new iMac. (Just make sure to buy one with an internal SSD.)

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 2, 2021 1:04 AM in response to Jack-19

Once you get an SSD, here is how to set it up and move your data to it.

1. Make sure you have a valid, working, and recent Time Machine backup.
  2. Connect the SSD to the iMac.
  3. Go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go (at the top) > Utilities > Disk Utility).
  4. Select "View" > "Show All Devices".
  5. Select the main SSD drive. It will be the top, non indented drive in the "External" section. Its name will end in "Media".
  6. Click "Erase", and input the following:
  7. Name: (Could be anything, or a name such as "macOS".)
  8. Format: APFS
  9. Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  10. Click Erase
  11. Quit Disk Utility.
  12. Shut off the iMac, turn it on, and immediately press and hold "Command + R".
  13. Once in macOS Recovery, connect to WiFi in the top right corner.
  14. Select "Reinstall macOS".
  15. IMPORTANT: Make sure to select the new external SSD as the installation target for macOS.
  16. Let the process complete.

POST-INSTALL:

1. Setup the new iMac, and Migrate your data using a "Time Machine backup".
  2. Connect the Time Machine drive, keeping the SSD connected. (You now have 2 external drives connected).
  3. Follow the on-screen steps to move your data from the Time Machine backup to the new macOS on the SSD.
  4. Once done, verify all your data is transferred to the SSD.
  5. Now, to make the new SSD your default "boot" or "startup volume", go to System Preferences > Startup Disk > Select the SSD > Restart. Let it restart.
  6. Now, you can do the "final touches", such as setting up Time Machine again, signing into Internet Accounts, etc.

Just keep the SSD connected at all times!

This not only will fix your issue for a lot cheaper than buying a new Mac, but it also will make it feel snappier than it has ever been.

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 2, 2021 12:33 AM in response to Jack-19

Hello Jack,

thank you for your kind advice. Whao, problem seems serious.

I actually have a back up external disk of 2TB (Seagate portbable hard drive, not sure if it s a SSD though) but I have never used it to start the computer off it.

I am not sure how to do it....If I go to settings and try to change the startup disk, the external hard drive does not show.

I checked the latest back up and it was done this morning so my data are probably ok.

But when I go to time machine in setting, it says that no back up data has ever been made, which is strange. And it is been preparing for back up for several minutes and not really progressing...

Any advice on how to use my backup external hard drive to restart my computer?

And sorry to ask but what is AASP?

Thank you again for helping me out!

Mar 2, 2021 2:49 AM in response to Jack-19

Thank you Jack, very clear.

Finally time machine worked and the back up seems ok.

I will check and compare both options you proposing. I need to check if buying a new computer while trading in make sense financially. of course it will be a bit more expensive than using an external HD but I am wondering if it is worth it since my computer is now 8 years old and I am worried the constants updates and software requirements will make it unfit in the future.

If you have any opinion, it is most welcome.

I forgot to mention that I live in Japan.

running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.