Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Calendar Search Not Working

Has anyone encountered the issue where the search feature is not working on the new macbook 2021 pro. Everything is currently up to date, running Monterey OS, 12.0.1. I tried everything from seeing if it works in safe mode, to re-adding the accounts/calendars in calendar preferences. This is a fresh install and I have multiple accounts' calendars which show all the events fine. I'm out of ideas how to get this search feature to work again : ( Desperate need of help for work thanks guys

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 8:33 AM

I just finished an online chat with Apple. The only thing that worked was reindexing spotlight, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716. Be sure to drag "Macintosh HD" into the window and then highlight it and click the minus sign to remove it. This will allow spotlight to completely reindex which takes some time (searching on spotlight will show the amount of time left). When finished, restart the computer and you should be fine.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 8:33 AM in response to radoja

I just finished an online chat with Apple. The only thing that worked was reindexing spotlight, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716. Be sure to drag "Macintosh HD" into the window and then highlight it and click the minus sign to remove it. This will allow spotlight to completely reindex which takes some time (searching on spotlight will show the amount of time left). When finished, restart the computer and you should be fine.

Jan 3, 2022 5:45 AM in response to radoja

HI. I have this issue too.

Interestingly this seems limited to only Apple Silicon macOS devices and only for the Apple Calendar app. And for me I think this occurred at the last Monterey update (12.0.1).

So I can search for Calendar events via system wide Spotlight and by finder search (locating the specific calendar file in the user Library) but not in the search box of the Calendar app.

Unlike you I only have iCloud linkages, so no exchange/multiple account complexity.

Also an exact mirror of my Apple Silicon device but on Intel has no issues.

Having said that I had a friend check their similar setup and their M1 Mac mini is fine.

Forcing calendar db rebuilds and clearing Spotlight caches changes nothing. So this must be app related.

I am about to update to 12.1 so that may help, we'll see!

All very strange.

Jan 11, 2022 8:15 PM in response to radoja

I found a solution! After weeks of researching, resetting the Calendar app, changing user accounts, going to safe mode. Nothing worked. The only solution I haven't tried was reinstalling the whole Monterey system, cuz I thought it would be a hassle and I would have to backup and then reinstall all the apps. It doesnt! You can easily reinstall the system and the Calendar app search works like a charm!

If you have Apple M1 silicon chip mac:

1. Shut down your mac.

2. Hold down the power button/touch ID until the startup options icon appears

3. Now select Options, and click Continue

4. When a window appears with options like restore from time machine etc, choose Reinstall MAC OS Monterey. 

5. Follow instructions.

BAM! Calendar search works like a charm.

Jan 17, 2022 5:53 PM in response to rozasam

I used rozasam's solution and it worked perfectly! I think it was mainly the reinstall itself that did the trick, not that I was installing OS 12.1.

I already had Monterey 12.1 installed, but it was installed during the process of moving my desktop from an older MacBook Pro 2018 to this new MacBook Pro 16" 2021 using Migration. There may have been a glitch in the upgrade to 12.1 during migration that did not index iCal. Reinstalling 12.1 using the startup option did the trick! Thanks!

Macbook Pro Calendar Search Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.