Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Calendar macOS Ventura crashes on entering location field contents

After upgrading to Ventura, when I enter or paste text into the Location field for a new or existing Calendar entry, the app crashes every time. The calendar on which the entry is added or updated is via CalDav using Synology Calendar. A crash does not occur under identical steps when using a different calendar such Home on my Mac.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2024 11:05 PM

Hi, this issue has been fixed in the Synology Calendar 2.5 Beta.

Similar questions

74 replies

Apr 14, 2023 1:42 PM in response to watou

I opened a ticket with my new and now expiring MacBook Pro support. They opened a ticket. I spoke to their escalation person. They asked me to test with another Synology account to make sure it wasn't an account issue. I'm not doing that. It's obviously not limited to my account as evidenced by all here reporting the same issue. They asked me to test in Safe Mode. The problem persists with Safe Mode as all of you know. So I report this again in the support chat and they ask again when someone can call. I asked why. She said they usually want you to reinstall the OS if the problem persists with Safe Mode. I told them to forget it. I'm fed up with their stupid process. I shared the link to this discussion and told them they can test the problem themselves. Their support is horrible. The end.

Jun 23, 2023 3:02 AM in response to watou

Everyone needs to report this to Apple support. They will ask you to try a few things which is a pain in the _ _ _. For example, this includes checking to see if it's a problem with another Synology account to rule an account issue out as a problem. Once you try their few "ideas", they will have a higher level support person call you. All should do this. It's probably the only way this gets fixed. Who has done it?

Jan 29, 2024 4:40 PM in response to watou

watch:

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jun 8, 2023 8:49 AM in response to watou

Here is what worked for me after I realized that Calendar locations work for other accounts.

• Export all calendars to a local .ics file just in case and because this will reset all local calendars
  • Disable calendar access for all remote accounts from System Settings-Internet Accounts (you do not need to delete the account, just turn the switch for calendars off)
  • Quit calendar
  • disconnect from Internet
  • For each of the following directories (if you have them... I didn't have them all), select all of the contents, right-click and choose "New Folder with Selection"
    • ~/Library/Caches
    • ~/Library/Calendars 
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Calendars
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.CalendarAgent
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iCal
  • Restart your Mac
  • Launch Calendar
  • Try creating a new event and add a location (you will get no suggestions because wifi is off, but it should let you add text without crashing)
  • Import any local calendars, by importing the .ics file you created. Do not import exported calendars that were stored on a server or you may get duplicates later.
  • Turn on internet access
  • Enable calendar access for remote accounts and allow them to sync
  • Test creating a new event with location info.

Calendar macOS Ventura crashes on entering location field contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.