Mac Calendar not syncing with Exchange on Ventura

Just upgraded to Ventura. When I enter a calendar event in Mac Outlook is does NOT show up on my Mac calendar, but it does show up on my iPhone calendar immediately. Also, if I enter a calendar event on my Mac calendar and designate my Exchange calendar to put the event on, it does NOT show up on either my iPhone calendar OR the Outlook calendar on my Mac. I used to periodically get this happening on Monterey after a few days, but it fixes itself on a restart -- however, that is not case now, a restart of the Mac does not fix the problem.

Mac Mail seems to be syncing just fine -- no issues with that, so there is something going on between the Mac apps and the Exchange server.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 4:42 AM

macOS 13.4 fix found!

We've had this problem for multiple client devices since macOS Monterey. Back then we had a fix that worked however since macOS Ventura, no fixes have worked.

Since updating to macOS 13.4 the following fix works:

1. Close Outlook, Mail and Calendar apps
  2. Open Activity Monitor
  3. Force quit the process called "exchangesyncd"
  4. Relaunch the Calendar app and give it a few minutes

This issue has caused us a lot of nightmares so hopefully this works for you all.

Similar questions

95 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 4:42 AM in response to Wald02

macOS 13.4 fix found!

We've had this problem for multiple client devices since macOS Monterey. Back then we had a fix that worked however since macOS Ventura, no fixes have worked.

Since updating to macOS 13.4 the following fix works:

1. Close Outlook, Mail and Calendar apps
  2. Open Activity Monitor
  3. Force quit the process called "exchangesyncd"
  4. Relaunch the Calendar app and give it a few minutes

This issue has caused us a lot of nightmares so hopefully this works for you all.

Jan 16, 2023 10:52 AM in response to Wald02

I had this problem too. What sorted it for me was:

On Outlook click on Outlook > Settings. Select Accounts. Select the affected account (if you have more than one). Click the down arrow to the right of the small circle with the 3 dots at the bottom left of the window. Select Reset Account. Restart Outlook and it should repopulate correctly in a few seconds. You can also do this on Outlook on iPhone as well. Hope that helps.

Mar 20, 2023 3:07 PM in response to Wald02

I don't know if this will be a permanent fix, but here we go:

• My problem was that Mac Calendar would sync SOME of my calendar events from our Exchange server (generally invites from others and repeating events) but not one off events created by me.

• I removed the Calendar account from the Systems Settings/Internet account but left my other Exchange accounts like Mail untouched.

• I added back the Calendar account, opened Calendar, and then in Calendar Settings/Accounts, I set "Refresh Calendar" to "every Minute". That seemed to force the application to retrieve the missing calendar events.

Am crossing my fingers to see if this is a permanent fix. Not holding my breath....

Nov 1, 2023 11:03 AM in response to willybest

Unfortunately the same issue for me. I seemed to have solved it (while still on Ventura) by ensuring my default calendar was the exchange calendar I use.

However, after upgrading to Sonoma my Mac OS calendar using my exchange account is completely unreliable because certain events do not update. It looks "mostly ok" but added or deleted events get missed.

I hope this can be solved soon. Linking another thread that just started in case anyone else wants to chime in here too: iCal NOT grabbing MS Exchange calendar da… - Apple Community

Jan 13, 2023 5:10 PM in response to Wald02

So I'm curious if you're all seeing the same/similar symptoms as I am:

1. Exchange calendar items are all loading correctly initially into the MacOS Calendar when first adding the account
  2. Invitations show up in the "inbox" panel with only "OK" option instead of "Accept/Decline/Tentative" (Not mentioned on this thread, but I've read other threads elsewhere where people are experiencing this issue also.)
  3. Changes on MacOS to calendar (adding new meetings, accepting, declining, or removing meetings) do not sync to exchange server
  4. Subsequent changes to exchange calendar do not sync to MacOS Calendar

I tried the "full blowup" treatment:

1. Delete exchange account
  2. Delete Calendar.sqlitedb* files
  3. Reboot
  4. Wait for other non-exchange calendars to sync
  5. Add exchange account and wait for sync

Alas, I'm right back where I started.

This is seriously broken Apple folks...

Jan 23, 2024 8:17 AM in response to Wald02

If you want to put this behind you via the exchangesyncd restart fix, just run this in a terminal to have cron restart the process at the top of every hour:

echo "0 * * * * killall exchangesyncd" | crontab -

I am now on the latest and greatest Sonoma 14.2.1 (as of this post) and its still not fixed after several generations of operating system releases. This seems to be the way for now until apple decides to fix this.

Dec 9, 2022 10:05 AM in response to Wald02

Two solutions here so far. For some people, removing the Exchange account and re-installing it works. It did not change anything for me. The other solution that work but is super annoying is the periodically quit the exchangesyncd process.

To do so, close Calendar, open the Activity Monitor app, search for exchangesyncd and force quit the process, wait couple of seconds, reopen Calendar.

Jan 11, 2023 10:06 AM in response to Wald02

I fixed this Problem with a work-around. On Ventura 13.1, I completely eliminated the Exchange account (System Settings --> Internet Accounts --> "Exchange" --> Delete Account), rebooted, then added it back in. Everything seems to be syncing fine for 3 days now. This work-around has shown up in other threads as well.

You have to go through the entire deletion of the account and re-add -- make sure you don't just stop syncing the calendar using the toggle on/off button.

May 9, 2023 9:34 AM in response to Wald02

Deleting the exchange account and adding it back in worked for me (on iMac 2019, Ventura 13.3.1) without rebooting even. In detail, this is what I did:

1. Quit anything that uses the Exchange account, ie. iCal, Mail, etc.
  2. System Settings --> Internet Accounts --> "Exchange" --> Delete Account
  3. System Settings --> Internet Accounts --> Add Account (no need to reboot before adding it back in)
  4. Reopen iCal - everything seems to be syncing fine now!

Mac Calendar not syncing with Exchange on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.