Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Issue with my iPhone and MacBook Pro

I have an iPhone 12 running iOS v 16.2 and a MacBook Pro with the Apple M1 chip running Ventura 13.0.

The issue is, when I plug the phone into the Mac, it easily recognizes the phone and when I open the Finder Window to sync, it easily runs through the sync process BUT IT NEVER UPDATES MY CONTACTS OR MY CALENDAR ON MY PHONE!!!

I have tried to FORCE a replacement of all contacts and the calendar on my phone - but this also results in no changes to my phone.

As such, I am having to enter everything, now, twice - once on my phone and once on my MacBook. AND NO - I am not a fan of iCloud and do not use iCloud and will not use iCloud. This sync function should easily work between my two devices but it does not.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 1:30 AM

Then have a few suggestions in no specific order ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

3 - Have the Devices evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2023 1:30 AM in response to sigmtnmartian

Then have a few suggestions in no specific order ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

3 - Have the Devices evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Feb 19, 2023 6:58 PM in response to sigmtnmartian

Greetings sigmtnmartian,

Since you are using macOS Ventura, you'll need to use your Finder to sync your Contacts and Calendars. Check out the steps below:

"Sync or remove content using the Finder

1. Open a Finder window and connect your device to your computer using a USB cable. Learn what to do if you don't see your device listed in Finder.
  2. After your device appears in the sidebar of the Finder window, click the device to select it.
  3. If prompted, trust your device. You might be asked to update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  4. Select the type of content that you want to sync or remove from the horizontal list. To turn syncing on for a content type, select the checkbox next to “Sync [content] onto [user’s] iPhone.” More syncing options will now be available.
  5. Select the checkbox next to each item that you want to sync.
  6. Click the Apply button in the lower-right corner of the window. If syncing doesn't start automatically, click the Sync button. You may also be prompted to authorize your computer to complete the sync." Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

We hope this helps to sync your Contacts and calendars.

Best wishes.

Feb 20, 2023 5:06 AM in response to sigmtnmartian

" I have an iPhone 12 running iOS v 16.2 and a MacBook Pro with the Apple M1 chip running Ventura 13.0. "

The user may consider updating the iPhone 12 to current version of iOS to version 16.3.1

The user may consider updating the updating the computer to current version Ventura 13.2.1

Once that is done on Both devices - test again

Links below on both topics

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.2.1 - Apple Support (CA)

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

Feb 20, 2023 4:46 AM in response to JessS19

Hi Jess -

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the information. However, as listed, I have followed every procedure mentioned in the instructions on how to use the Finder to sync my two devices. The net result is - they do not sync.

I have updated to the latest versions of OS on both devices. I have marked each device as a trusted device. I have selected the checkbox next to "Sync onto iPhone" I have selected sync ALL in the checkbox next to what I want to sync. I click APPLY in the lower right and the sync process runs through all 6 steps and tells me I am done but - new content does not appear.

To test this, I make an entry into my calendar and into my contacts on my MacBook Pro. I make a separate and distinct entry into my calendar and into my contacts on my iPhone. I then plug them together using a cable, open the finder window and click the Sync button. Again, it runs through all 6 steps of the process and states it is done but - the contact and calendar entry made in the MacBook do not appear on the iPhone and the calendar and contact info entered on the iPhone do not appear on the MacBook Pro.

Complete failure.

Mar 2, 2023 4:05 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for the suggestion. Here is what I have done.

MacBook Pro with Apple M1 chip - updated to Ventura 13.2.1

iPhone 12 - updated to 16.3.1

Nothing. Put one test contact on the iPhone and one test contact on the Mac. Put one test calendar item on the iPhone and one test item on the Mac. Just performed a sync and nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. The calendar and the contacts are NOT syncing at all.

Mar 7, 2023 5:05 AM in response to PRP_53

SO -

First of all, hats off to Apple Support for their fast response time and attempt to solve this issue. We exported all calendars and tried many things to fix this issue - without any success. Apple support team members logged into both of my devices and they could see the behavior - and we exported all the calendars and tried many different things in system settings, application settings and other things to try and resolve the issue. The end result - we were never able to get the calendars to properly sync - and now many of my contacts have been deleted. It is a total mess - I have disabled file syncing between my iPhone and my MacBook and will just do double entry to keep myself in sync. I cannot afford to lose any more calendar of contact entries when attempt to sync across both devices.

Sync Issue with my iPhone and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.