Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I recover one Playlist?

Years ago, I created several Playlists in iTunes. Everything transitioned fine to the 'new' Music application on my iMac. (i.e., all my songs and Playlists transitioned as expected)

But I now have this problem:

I recently lost one (1) Playlist. I don't know how it happened, ... perhaps I accidentally erased it. I create Playlists on my iMac and then sync them to my iPhone & iPad. The missing Playlist is now gone from all devices. It was there one day, and gone the next.....

All my other Playlists are on all devices and all my synced songs from all Playlists (including the songs in the lost Playlist) are all on all devices..... the only problem is that I'm missing that one (1) Playlist.

My question: Is there a way for me to recover just one (1) Playlist?

I'd prefer to not to do a 'wholesale' library transition if possible.

I do have Time Machine back-ups.

Thanks for any guidance

Mac Catalina 10.15.7

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 12:24 PM

Hi larrybobba,

We see a playlist is missing from your Music library, and you'd like to recover it.

If you have a preexisting Time Machine backup, you may be able to recover your library file or entire Music folder to a date from before the playlist was deleted, however there is not an option to restore a single playlist via Time Machine as they're all part of library file.

See more info on recovering data using Time Machine below.

Cheers!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 12:24 PM in response to larrybobba

Hi larrybobba,

We see a playlist is missing from your Music library, and you'd like to recover it.

If you have a preexisting Time Machine backup, you may be able to recover your library file or entire Music folder to a date from before the playlist was deleted, however there is not an option to restore a single playlist via Time Machine as they're all part of library file.

See more info on recovering data using Time Machine below.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2021 4:55 AM in response to larrybobba

If you have Time Machine then restore a copy of the Music Library.musiclibrary database from a time before this playlist went missing. You could restore this file to the desktop or other convenient location. If you don't have Time Machine then you likely have your old iTunes Library.itl from before you upgraded to Catalina. This is likely to be in ~/Music/iTunes.

If you have Apple Music or iTunes Match disconnect from the Internet before the next step, otherwise the library you open will refresh with iCloud Music Library, deleting the playlist you're trying to recover.

Press and hold down Option as you launch Music, and keep holding until asked to choose or create a library. Click choose, then browse to and open the selected library file. If using the .itl file then you'll need to choose a location to save the converted database. Music is likely to suggest ~/Music/Music 1 which is fine.

Assuming that you've picked a library with the lost playlist you can now export this list as an XML file. Close Music, connect to the Internet if you disconnected earlier, option-start-Music, choose your original library, and import the exported playlist.

tt2

Dec 11, 2021 1:23 PM in response to larrybobba

See Empty/corrupt iTunes/Music library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community. Close Music and take your computer offline, restore a version of your database likely to contain the missing playlist, open Music, export the playlist as an XML file, close Music, restore your "current" library database, go back online, import the exported list.

tt2

Dec 20, 2021 2:51 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you turingtest2

I'm just now getting around to fixing this....

Please remind me what I do in order to see my older versions/dates of my music library?

I remember looking at one of your previous posts and I recall doing something like holding down the Option key while opening my Music app on my iMac. When I did that I recall seeing those older library dates that would probably have solved my issue, however, I did not complete the process and the fix at that time. Now I'm ready to complete the job but I forget how to start the process to see the see the older library versions.

Can you please direct me how to start that process?

Thanks

Can I recover one Playlist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.