Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small tactical shock in the laptop body when charging (M1 Macbook air)

Is it normal to feel that sensation when plugged in to the charger? It's not even noticeable, but it's kinda weird. Whenever I plug it into the charger and when I touch the body of the laptop (right besides the trackpad) I can feel a little sensation like some kind of shock. Like some kind of a slightly vibrating buzz. I'm using the original apple 30w charger and the cable. (type A plug (2 square pins) ) I have been told that it happens because there's no ground in the charger itself. Is it okay? Or is there something to worry about?

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 3:24 AM

The charger is not grounded because the house wiring system is not grounded.

This can happen with an ungrounded, two prong, electrical system. If you have a three prong grounded system, there is likely a current leak somewhere. Either the Mac or the house wiring; I'd suspect the house wiring.

You can buy an adapter designed to ground via the center screw of the outlet cover. Cheap; probably on the order of $5US or so. Although not 100% in its application, they seem to usually work.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 3:24 AM in response to chamathm1

The charger is not grounded because the house wiring system is not grounded.

This can happen with an ungrounded, two prong, electrical system. If you have a three prong grounded system, there is likely a current leak somewhere. Either the Mac or the house wiring; I'd suspect the house wiring.

You can buy an adapter designed to ground via the center screw of the outlet cover. Cheap; probably on the order of $5US or so. Although not 100% in its application, they seem to usually work.

Small tactical shock in the laptop body when charging (M1 Macbook air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.