Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer to iMac from pc

Tips on transferring data from pc to iMac

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 9:36 AM

The best thing you can do is to use the Migration assistant app in the Mac. As I understand it, you can download the PC version to use in the PC. This app is specifically designed to use for such a transfer. Use it and carefully pay attention and follow the instructions. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. At a point you will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results.  Do not use it. It can corrupt or lose data.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You may want to transfer your settings and preferences. Since you are moving from a PC, you might want to start over with new settings in the Mac. I would.

You can transfer all or none of your files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

I assume that you understand that none of the PC's apps will work in the Mac. They will have to be newly installed there.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 9:36 AM in response to geteds

The best thing you can do is to use the Migration assistant app in the Mac. As I understand it, you can download the PC version to use in the PC. This app is specifically designed to use for such a transfer. Use it and carefully pay attention and follow the instructions. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. At a point you will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results.  Do not use it. It can corrupt or lose data.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You may want to transfer your settings and preferences. Since you are moving from a PC, you might want to start over with new settings in the Mac. I would.

You can transfer all or none of your files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

I assume that you understand that none of the PC's apps will work in the Mac. They will have to be newly installed there.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

How to transfer to iMac from pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.