Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to Change the name of macOS user account

In my MacBook Pro 2013, the box of account name is grey which cannot be edited please let me know how to change the account name

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 11:17 AM

you should first consider how important the name change is for you. it's a very complicated process. even one mistake can result in being locked out of the account, and losing all data contained within that account without any hope of recovering that data.

if you really must change the account name, you need to follow the steps in the below linked article to the letter.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

you may also want to have that article printed out if possible, or maybe have it opened on a different computer.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2021 11:17 AM in response to sulaman2191

you should first consider how important the name change is for you. it's a very complicated process. even one mistake can result in being locked out of the account, and losing all data contained within that account without any hope of recovering that data.

if you really must change the account name, you need to follow the steps in the below linked article to the letter.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

you may also want to have that article printed out if possible, or maybe have it opened on a different computer.

Dec 12, 2021 12:16 PM in response to Ozzie1910

the article is NOT written by "others". it's a page DIRECT FROM APPLE. if you know as much as you claim, READ the article. you will see that you cannot just erase the existing name and type in a new one. if you don't want to read what APPLE has said about the process in question, it's your loss. and that's all i have to say on the matter.

how to Change the name of macOS user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.