Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change user account name on my Mac

Hello, I have been trying to change my User name and all of the steps shown here I dont seem to have on my Mac. Please help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 12:28 PM

Where do you have issues? Make sure you're following the right set of steps for your macOS version.

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.

2. Click Users & Groups.

3. Click the lock, then enter the administrator name and password that you used to log in.

4. Press and hold the Control key on your keyboard, then click the name of the account that you're renaming. Choose Advanced Options from the menu that appears.

5. Update the “Account name” field to match the new name of the home folder. Optionally change the "Full name" field as well. The full name does not have to match, and you can use either name when logging in or making changes that require your account name and password.

6. The user name also appears as part of the path shown in the “Home directory” field. Change that name to match the new name of the home folder, but don't remove /Users/ from the path.

7. Click OK, then restart your Mac and log in to the renamed account.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2022 12:28 PM in response to AnyaSmith0328

Where do you have issues? Make sure you're following the right set of steps for your macOS version.

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.

2. Click Users & Groups.

3. Click the lock, then enter the administrator name and password that you used to log in.

4. Press and hold the Control key on your keyboard, then click the name of the account that you're renaming. Choose Advanced Options from the menu that appears.

5. Update the “Account name” field to match the new name of the home folder. Optionally change the "Full name" field as well. The full name does not have to match, and you can use either name when logging in or making changes that require your account name and password.

6. The user name also appears as part of the path shown in the “Home directory” field. Change that name to match the new name of the home folder, but don't remove /Users/ from the path.

7. Click OK, then restart your Mac and log in to the renamed account.

Jan 4, 2023 8:39 AM in response to AnyaSmith0328

Yes, you do need to be logged in to another user account to change the name. Sorry for the confusion. From Apple-

To change names, you must be logged in to a different administrator account. If your Mac has only one administrator account, create a new administrator account in Users & Groups settings.

Unable to change user account name on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.