Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i forgot my backup password

How can i reset my backup encryption password?

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 8:27 AM

Note that resetting the backup encryption password does not change the password of your existing backup(s). So if you are trying to restore from a backup and needing that password, you'll have to figure out the password in order to use it.

If you are simply trying to make a new backup. Then follow the instructions in the link/section provided by ProustGiulio, but for #2 the support article is currently wrong. You need to tap Reset ALL Settings

(Resetting Network Settings does not reset the backup encrypted password)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2021 8:27 AM in response to diggindude

Note that resetting the backup encryption password does not change the password of your existing backup(s). So if you are trying to restore from a backup and needing that password, you'll have to figure out the password in order to use it.

If you are simply trying to make a new backup. Then follow the instructions in the link/section provided by ProustGiulio, but for #2 the support article is currently wrong. You need to tap Reset ALL Settings

(Resetting Network Settings does not reset the backup encrypted password)

i forgot my backup password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.