Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are there plug ins available to use with iMovie to modernise its 15 year old features

Modern computers have dozens more power than those on which imovie was designed.

Anybody else think upgrading the ken burns feature with some automated options beyond zooming to centre would be welcome?

Like zoom on face

zoom on people

start from black edge when movie is 4:3 ratio

start from bottom edge when there is a lot of sky

etc etc

computers are supposed to automate the repetative tasks. No sign of that on imovie yet.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 9:40 AM

iMovie 10, and I believe iMovie 9, will not accept third party plug-ins. The old iMovie 6 did. The only way that I know of to modernize iMovie is to download the various upgrades and updates that Apple issues from time to time.

With Ken Burns on iMovie 10 you can do all of the functions that you mentioned by adjusting the start and end points with the adjustment rectangle. I'm not clear what you mean by "automated".

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2021 9:40 AM in response to Yetanotherjohn

iMovie 10, and I believe iMovie 9, will not accept third party plug-ins. The old iMovie 6 did. The only way that I know of to modernize iMovie is to download the various upgrades and updates that Apple issues from time to time.

With Ken Burns on iMovie 10 you can do all of the functions that you mentioned by adjusting the start and end points with the adjustment rectangle. I'm not clear what you mean by "automated".

-- Rich

are there plug ins available to use with iMovie to modernise its 15 year old features

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.