Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting system data and macOS storage

I am trying to delete some files and apps to reduce the amount of GB my iMac is using. I deleted a lot of things, and there are only about 20GB of apps taking up my storage. But, I can't seem to manage or delete the macOS or system data. Can someone help?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 4:50 PM

Mac_Fan_Discussion wrote:

Hi, I wanted to give this computer to my brother, and I want him to have the most space possible. I also don't want to delete my account, just create a new account for him.

There is no more storage that you could reasonably delete. Generally speaking, macOS manages its own storage. You might be able to delete some of that 42 GB of system storage, but it will just come back eventually. This is as good as it gets.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 4:50 PM in response to Mac_Fan_Discussion

Mac_Fan_Discussion wrote:

Hi, I wanted to give this computer to my brother, and I want him to have the most space possible. I also don't want to delete my account, just create a new account for him.

There is no more storage that you could reasonably delete. Generally speaking, macOS manages its own storage. You might be able to delete some of that 42 GB of system storage, but it will just come back eventually. This is as good as it gets.

Deleting system data and macOS storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.