Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete files from System Data

My storage is full and when I delete files they appear in System Data, I cannot download any program to help free up space or clean up my Mac because my disk is full. I have also tried to transfer files to an external hard drive and that has failed as well.

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 3:01 PM

Thank you, I have done that already, the system data files are over 320G and I cannot download the link you sent because there is not any memory. So, despite deleting ~40G of files etc, the computer still says I have no space.

3 replies

Sep 16, 2022 2:17 PM in response to vonda231

The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.  You can use this free app, GrandPerspective to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.  

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Many users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

How do I delete files from System Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.