Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iCloud storage is nearly full and I don't want to purchase more. Most of the space is used for Messages. I want to KEEP the message strings (text and pictures) on my iPhone but delete them from iCloud. How do I do that?

Everything I read seems to tell me that if I delete Messages (text and photos) from iCloud.com, I will lose those texts and photos from ALL devices including my iPhone.

How can I reduce the use of iCloud storage but NOT lose these Messages strings from my iPhone?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 6:43 AM

You can turn off messages in iCloud. Learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532

3 replies

Jan 1, 2022 5:49 AM in response to philfromfortworth

My question exactly. It isn't possible. Apple wants you to be totally reliant on icloud. I found this out yesterday, when i lost all my notes. I have since restored my iphone from previous backup, and with cellular data and wifi off, backed up phone to a new program called iMazing. It works like icloud, but keeps it local on my computer. So then when i reconnected my wifi and data, it DID wipe out the notes from my iphone (as all notes were deleted from icloud) but at least I had them backed up locally. I am just going to use my exchange notes (from sticky notes) because Apple didn't delete those...And then I'll gradually merge the backed up notes I have on the new program iMazing.

My iCloud storage is nearly full and I don't want to purchase more. Most of the space is used for Messages. I want to KEEP the message strings (text and pictures) on my iPhone but delete them from iCloud. How do I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.