Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" 5k late 2014 freezes durring boot process

my iMac is a late 2014 5K, 27" screen. It freezes after a long wait and the progress bar freezes 1/2 through booting It won't boot in Safe Mode. Option command P R does the 2ed boot chime but then the progress bar still freezes at the half way point. I just ordered a new 24” M1 iMac but it won’t get here till the first week in January.

iMac. Was working perfectly and shut off as if power had been cut ( no flickering house lights or other indications of power problems)

a 7 year old iMac is beyond economical repair I fear so I just ordered a 24” iMac replacement but is there anything else I can try so I have a computer for the next month? Typing on my phon is not much fun at my age. I don’t have the magic thumb typing of youth🥸

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 7:51 AM

It is likely a hardware failure, you can always take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to have it diagnosed. If you find it is the HD, then you can buy an external SSD connect it and then run from that.

2 replies

iMac 27" 5k late 2014 freezes durring boot process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.