Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to draw a circle around something in Preview.app

Just what the thread title says. Specifically, I want to draw a circle around something to highlight that thing in the image, so I can send the image to another user and the circle will draw their attention to the item that is circled.

Thus, I do *NOT* want to fill in the circle with a solid color, because that will obscure the part of the image I am trying to draw attention to.

It seems that generally speaking there are no words annotating the interface items in the Preview app, so I don't think there is a way for the user to know what any of the functions are or how to use them.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 8:42 AM

GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS wrote:

Just what the thread title says. Specifically, I want to draw a circle around something to highlight that thing in the image, so I can send the image to another user and the circle will draw their attention to the item that is circled.

Thus, I do *NOT* want to fill in the circle with a solid color, because that will obscure the part of the image I am trying to draw attention to.

It seems that generally speaking there are no words annotating the interface items in the Preview app, so I don't think there is a way for the user to know what any of the functions are or how to use them.

Thanks in advance!

The Shift Command A will open the Markup tool bar— make changes here to suit your needs.

Annotate an image in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 8:42 AM in response to GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS

Thanks in advance!

The Shift Command A will open the Markup tool bar— make changes here to suit your needs.

Annotate an image in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2021 10:06 AM in response to GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS

For reference, I guess it is squiggly line #2 that's needed, not squiggly line #1. Can only assume this is a classic rookie mistake.

Circles are most easily drawn/adjusted using the "circle" from the drop down— trying to freehand a circle ends up looking like a kindergartner did it, or a rookie...

holding the Shift key, adjusting the circle will true it up.

The fill is removed by making changes :

How to draw a circle around something in Preview.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.