Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Heart Rate Strap - Missing Calories with Apple Watch

I am using a Wahoo Tickr X heart rate strap with my Apple Watch 3. It works perfectly when I do Apple Workout Videos via my Apple TV.

But when I do outdoor workouts I am getting wildly inaccurate calorie readings. In these cases the GPS component is active. I get accurate distance, heart rate and speed but the calorie reading is really really low. In fact, sometimes the watch will repeatedly tell me during the workout that I am not working out and it asks if I want to pause the workout (even though it is showing a heart rate as 150). As an example during my last workout, it showed an average HR of 147 for 90 mins but the calories were only 85.

I did confirm that the watch is using the strap's data for heart rate. But I can't figure out why it is miscalculating calories (which then leads to my rings not moving).

Apple Watch, 4

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 12:02 PM

Hello chilleejillee,

It sounds like your Apple Watch is not accurately recording your calories. 

Here's a resource that can help. Review Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy.

Also check out Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch, Note: When it comes to Move ring and active calories "For users 13 years and younger, the Move ring shows how many minutes the user has spent actively moving around."

If it continues, you can reach out by using this Get Support link for more assistance. 

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 12:02 PM in response to chilleejillee

Hello chilleejillee,

It sounds like your Apple Watch is not accurately recording your calories. 

Here's a resource that can help. Review Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy.

Also check out Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch, Note: When it comes to Move ring and active calories "For users 13 years and younger, the Move ring shows how many minutes the user has spent actively moving around."

If it continues, you can reach out by using this Get Support link for more assistance. 

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

External Heart Rate Strap - Missing Calories with Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.