Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPhone be hacked by responding to an iMessage?

Tonight I received an iMessage that seemed legitimate, though the sender's name did not appear, only a phone number. When I responded to the iMessage I received the response "Sorry my friend i gotchu." I didn't click on any links - there were no links in the iMessage.

Now I fear that my iPhone may have been hacked. My iPhone 7 was running iOS 15.1. I just noticed that iOS 15.2 is available, but automatic update hasn't yet installed it.

As a precaution, I've been changing passwords tonight using my MacBook. The passwords are stored in iCloud. A few minutes after I changed my Apple ID password a popup appeared on my MacBook and my iPhone, saying "Your Apple ID and password are now being used for FaceTime on a new iPhone. If you recently signed into [my wife's iPhone 12] you can ignore this notification." My wife's iPhone is on the same Apple ID as mine.

Should I be worried about a hack of my iPhone? If so, what should I do?

iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 11:06 PM

Don't worry you are not hacked. As it is not possible to get hacked from just replying to an iMessage. Also you didn't have to change passwords. The reason you are receiving the message "Your Apple ID and password are now being used for FaceTime on a new iPhone. If you recently signed into [my wife's iPhone 12] you can ignore this notification." is because you just changed your passwords so it recognizes the iPhone that is under the same apple id.,

Good Night.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 11:06 PM in response to Catguy2

Don't worry you are not hacked. As it is not possible to get hacked from just replying to an iMessage. Also you didn't have to change passwords. The reason you are receiving the message "Your Apple ID and password are now being used for FaceTime on a new iPhone. If you recently signed into [my wife's iPhone 12] you can ignore this notification." is because you just changed your passwords so it recognizes the iPhone that is under the same apple id.,

Good Night.

Can my iPhone be hacked by responding to an iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.