Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS 8.3 Update Causing 3rd Party Wireless Charger to Drain Battery

Is anyone else experiencing erratic behavior on their Series 7 Watch after the 8.3 update with a 3rd party wireless charger (Belkin)? Right after the update my watch started flashing between screens (charging screen, unlock pin pad, watch face) and eventually drained the battery to 10%. Once I put it on the charger that came with the watch it charged fine, problems went away. I don't want my charger to become obsolete because of an update.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 12:36 AM

I thought I was going crazy until I found this thread. I am seeing this on my Bluebolt combo charger (Phone, Watch, AirPods), so it is not just Belkin gear. Something changed in 8.3, because this was working fine previously.

153 replies

Dec 17, 2021 3:53 PM in response to ApplewatchOS

The point is if your charger is Made for Apple certified your charger should continue to work even if Apple updated the codes and the charger during the move to watchOS 8.3. If you do have a charger that is certified you should contact the manufacturer and Apple support and report it. If you have one that is not certified, and I can find that the BroHonor is, you won't be able to use it anymore because it was using stolen security codes and can no longer be used. You will have to wait for the company to come out with a new model with newer stolen security codes that work and buy that model.

So if you think you have a charger that IS Made for Apple certified contact the company to be sure and report the problem and I would also recommend contacting Apple support and reporting it. If you know it does not have such certification you will have to buy a new one.

Dec 19, 2021 2:36 PM in response to Fakeiphonedo

Software is involved in regulating charging, the chipset is not used for data transfer on the Watch puck and cable. If I have a company that participates in the Made for iDevice program I would want Apple to periodically update and render devices with stolen codes inoperable. Buy a cable that is certified and you won’t have this issue. Buy a cheap knockoff with stolen codes and you will.

Dec 20, 2021 8:54 AM in response to KGrastorf

My wife and I both have series 4 watches. The WatchOS 8.3 update nerfed our ability to charge with 3rd party chargers. I went to the Apple store today. I tested with Apple chargers in the store and then purchased new Apple chargers which solved the issue. Not thrilled as a customer, but better than buying new watches or switching to Android.

WatchOS 8.3 Update Causing 3rd Party Wireless Charger to Drain Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.