Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Notes on Monterey use the random appearance or deletion function?

I appreciated the "Notes" area as one of the very few things that MacOS had over Windows but the couple I've saved seem to have gone/came back and are now gone; I gather practical jokers play a major role at Apple particularly in the documentation area; is there some secret guide to keeping notes?

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:52 AM

desm1 wrote:

I appreciated the "Notes" area as one of the very few things that MacOS had over Windows but the couple I've saved seem to have gone/came back and are now gone; I gather practical jokers play a major role at Apple particularly in the documentation area; is there some secret guide to keeping notes?

None that I am aware of and no joking here.

Any and all Notes added to the Notes Application stay until I choose the Delete them.

Even when I delete one - I get a Pop up noticing and requesting Confirmation to delete.

Further, once it is deleted - it is placed in a sub-folder called Deleted. It will stay there for 30 days unless I choose to permanently delete it or I can Move it back to the main page as if Undeleted.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 4:52 AM in response to desm1

desm1 wrote:

None that I am aware of and no joking here.

Any and all Notes added to the Notes Application stay until I choose the Delete them.

Even when I delete one - I get a Pop up noticing and requesting Confirmation to delete.

Further, once it is deleted - it is placed in a sub-folder called Deleted. It will stay there for 30 days unless I choose to permanently delete it or I can Move it back to the main page as if Undeleted.

Dec 15, 2021 11:18 PM in response to PRP_53

Just checked again and apart from some meaningless numbers against iCloud and some other area there was a list including this device on the left. Highly unlikely that I wouldn't have noticed this before so I used the mouse to see whether this menu type column could be covered up. It could be; it was and now I can find no access to my notes or to the menu having tried all icons and using the mouse to restore; all to no effect; so shifting the sidebar icon is interpreted by MacOS that one no longer wants to see any notes (except presumably by going deeply into settings). It's astonishing for someone used to Windows much more intuitive setup. I too sick of this sort of thing to go searching; what words might work "side menu/list disappeared in Notes?"

Do Notes on Monterey use the random appearance or deletion function?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.