Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail and MacBook Pro.

Mail keeps collapsing whilst I am trying to open it on my MacBook Pro. How do I stabilise it, as I can't reload the original from any source at Apple I am running Mail on El Capitan OS 10:11:6 on the Mac Book Pro, which is the highest improvement allowed on it. I also have a Mac Air which I am using to send this message. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 7:39 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Shot Knees.

If we understand your post correctly, you're unable to open Mail on your MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan. We’d like to help.

Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Shot Knees

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Shot Knees.

If we understand your post correctly, you're unable to open Mail on your MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan. We’d like to help.

Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Dec 15, 2021 9:52 AM in response to amandal80

I thought I was making progress with the advice given, when, based on the answers given; the best route appeared to be to reinstall OS X El Capitan 10.11. Things were going well until the reinstall crashed with the warning message that "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install. Quit the installer to try again"

Now I can't use the Mac Book Pro at all, as the OSX installer keeps trying to install the same OSX software, again so I can't even get back to the original start up disc again.

I am now prepared to give up on ever being able to use Mail on my Mac Book Pro = again, as long as I can still use the MacBook Pro for other things, so how to I get back to where I wsa a couple of hours ago?

Mail and MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.