Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth connection iPhone to M1 MacMini fails. "Connection Unsuccessful M1 MacMini is not supported"

I'm getting this error message on my iPhone, "Connection Unsuccessful M1 MacMini is not supported" when trying to setup bluetooth iPhone 13 to MacMini

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 8:09 PM

My Mac Mini (2018), iPhone SE 1st gen, and iPad Pro 9.7”, connected to each other via Bluetooth until I upgraded the Mac Mini to macOS 12.1, and the iPad / iPhone to iPadOS 15.2, and iOS 15.2. Now neither will pair with the Mac Mini. I would share Internet from the Mac Mini to my iPad via Bluetooth. It no longer works after having worked for years. When I try to pair the two, they communicate, and connect for a few seconds before disconnecting. “pairing to a computer has never been supported on any model of iPhone” does not seem accurate for the reason I just stated. My iPad has been paired with my Mac Pro early 2008 and my iMac 27” early 2008 as well. The iPad no longer connects to my Echo 1st. Gen. via Bluetooth. My iPhone SE still connects to the Echo but not the Mac Mini. The error message Connection Unsuccessful MacMini is not supported" is new since the Mac Mini was updated to Monterey, and the iPad and iPhone to iPadOS / iOS 15.2.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 8:09 PM in response to edclange

My Mac Mini (2018), iPhone SE 1st gen, and iPad Pro 9.7”, connected to each other via Bluetooth until I upgraded the Mac Mini to macOS 12.1, and the iPad / iPhone to iPadOS 15.2, and iOS 15.2. Now neither will pair with the Mac Mini. I would share Internet from the Mac Mini to my iPad via Bluetooth. It no longer works after having worked for years. When I try to pair the two, they communicate, and connect for a few seconds before disconnecting. “pairing to a computer has never been supported on any model of iPhone” does not seem accurate for the reason I just stated. My iPad has been paired with my Mac Pro early 2008 and my iMac 27” early 2008 as well. The iPad no longer connects to my Echo 1st. Gen. via Bluetooth. My iPhone SE still connects to the Echo but not the Mac Mini. The error message Connection Unsuccessful MacMini is not supported" is new since the Mac Mini was updated to Monterey, and the iPad and iPhone to iPadOS / iOS 15.2.

Dec 15, 2021 8:14 PM in response to georgevargas

It is correct that the devices won't pair, however anything that uses Bluetooth between the two devices only requires that Bluetooth be turned on for both devices. Things such as Sidecar for the iPad, AirPlay, and AirDrop all just require that Bluetooth be turned on, not that the devices be paired to each other. Documentation can be found in Apple Support documents. If you are not satisfied with that explanation, you are free to contact Apple Support for additional information.

bluetooth connection iPhone to M1 MacMini fails. "Connection Unsuccessful M1 MacMini is not supported"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.