Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No WiFi but unlimited cellular data why can’t I update ios

No Wi-Fi available within 15 kilometers but I have unlimited cellular data and a halfway decent signal so why can’t I update without non existent Wi-Fi ?

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:34 AM

3 replies

Dec 14, 2021 12:10 PM in response to Idgaf9

Because carriers don’t want the traffic of 500 million updates (that’s the actual number eligible for iOS 15 updates) overloading their networks, which operate very close to capacity on normal days. Most carriers allow updates over 5G (REAL 5G, not 5Ge, which is LTE relabeled for marketing reasons), because 5G has much higher capacity than LTE. If yours doesn’t allow 5G updates maybe you should change carriers.

No WiFi but unlimited cellular data why can’t I update ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.