Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove wi-fi network from iPhone

I want to remove a redundant wi-fi network from my iPhone. However, when I go to Settings > Wi-Fi and tap the i next to the Wi-Fi network that I want my device to forget, there is no Forget This Network option.

I have been experiencing wi-fi issues since switching my broadband provider a few weeks ago, and I have a suspicion that my iPhone is trying to connect to a router that no longer exists.

How can I solve this problem?

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 12:41 PM

Thanks for your reply Lawrence.

In the past I was permanently connected to the network that I now want to remove. It now no longer exists, as I physically unplugged my old router and replaced it with a new one sent to me by my new broadband provider.

The network still appears in Settings > Wi-Fi, but without the Forget This Network option, so I don't now how to get rid of it.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 12:41 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for your reply Lawrence.

In the past I was permanently connected to the network that I now want to remove. It now no longer exists, as I physically unplugged my old router and replaced it with a new one sent to me by my new broadband provider.

The network still appears in Settings > Wi-Fi, but without the Forget This Network option, so I don't now how to get rid of it.

Dec 16, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

It has a lock next to it, like a secure wifi would. It just says XFINITY2, which is not my network, and it’s not an unsecured hot spot because of the lock. There’s no option to “forget this network.” it auto joins wherever I go (literally hundreds of miles from my house) even though I have “ask to join” off. I’ve tried resetting and restoring. If I turn off wifi it won’t join it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of owning the new iPad Pro.

Dec 14, 2021 1:25 PM in response to ZZZZZombie

It shouldn’t appear if it is no longer present. My iPhone doesn’t display any of the dozen or so networks I have connected to that are no long in range.

Have you restarted your phone? Have you tried turning Wi-Fi off, then on? Are you sure you don’t have a range extender with the same name? Have you tried Forget Network Preferences? When you see it, have you tried connecting to it?

Finally, do you have a Mac? If you do click on the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar, choose Network Preferences, Advanced button, and delete the network there. Although again, I have no longer used networks on my Mac that don’t appear on my iPhone.

Dec 14, 2021 1:28 PM in response to ZZZZZombie

OK, I realised I still had the old router knocking around, so I disconnected the new one and plugged the old one back in. Then, on all relevant devices, I proceeded to connect to the old network, then clicked Forget This Network.

Hopefully that will have solved my problems – although, irritatingly, the old network still appears in the list of available networks!

Dec 14, 2021 1:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

After carrying out the measures above, Lawrence, yes I did restart my iPhone – and my iPad – and the old network is still in the list on both devices. If I accidentally try to connect to that network, however, I now have to enter the password so, hopefully, that will stop my devices attempting to connect to it automatically, and connect to the new network instead.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

– Bill

Dec 14, 2021 1:52 PM in response to ZZZZZombie

ZZZZZombie wrote:

After carrying out the measures above, Lawrence, yes I did restart my iPhone – and my iPad – and the old network is still in the list on both devices. If I accidentally try to connect to that network, however, I now have to enter the password so, hopefully, that will stop my devices attempting to connect to it automatically, and connect to the new network instead.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
– Bill

If it prompted for password that means that the network exists and is active. A password prompt can only come from the Wi-Fi router; the request is not generated by the phone itself.

Unable to remove wi-fi network from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.